Tanks & AI

In the Chambois senario i decided to try the Germans knowing they wre out numbered & out gunned I decided to move a certain position on the field of battle ( not trying to give away the senario) & put up a strong defensive front with tanks & men in a position that I could easily exit in. The problem is that i would manually target a tank the AI would take over & target a lesser threat to it my men were putting up supressing fire & stalemated the advance of the infantry but my tanks would not fire on any targeted vehicals or Tanks? I had a Sherman in the bushes @ 200yds targeting says it could see it but only parcially no not a kill may be not even any damage but I should be able to lob a shell in to the bush to flush it out. The damn AI kept targeting a PIAT 440yds away? If the computer says the Sherman is a parcial block on the targeting that means the tank crew knows its there & should consider a Sherman slightly hidden @ 200yds. more of a threat than a PIAT under fire by my infantry & 440yds. away. May be Im hoping too much from my targeting thinking that the Panther should have lob shells in to the bush to flush the Sherman out. Please someone let me know!

I agree that the AI of tanks sometimes leaves something to be desired. When I tell a STUG to target a Sherman thats just 200m away (or less) but I have no LOS on. I want my tanks to not totally disregard my order and focus of some machine gone team 300m. The tank can hurt me not the machine gun. I think that the problem is the AI only targets the threats it can see totally at that immediate ponit in time. It has no patience. I actually only posses the demo (mac) v. 1.02D and am waiting for my full version of CM to come in the mail. Maybe its y troops only being "green" or "regular" that makes them unable to ignore minor threats.

No in the full version with elite tank crews this still happens a LOT! I have lost MANY MANY tanks to the tank AI getting all hot and bothered for infantry and crew...

I hope they make a patch that gives you the option to make a defend area type command, one that will make it so that the tank or unit in question will ignore everything not inside the the defensive arc, unless it is life threatening... IE you point the defensive arc toward a corner of a building for a certain range, then anything that comes around that corner will be shot at, but anything not threatening anywhere else will be ignored... So that way if a tank or what have you comes into view in the defend arc you get the first shot hopefully, or if something big and mean pops up next to you, your not busy playing patty cake with a machine gun across the map...