Nightime Clash: Chance Meeting

Guest grunto

Guest grunto

ok here is one of my favorite battles. it's very fast and hard-hitting. i've playtested it about 5 times as americans against the computer, trying to get everything just right. i then tried it against the computer as germans once i thought it was balanced out. it was fairly challenging either way. both sides have a lot of flexibility in this one.

so if you want to give it a try it is 'chance meeting' at:

http://www.driveway.com/share?sid=71344154.84117&name=CombatMission

one thing- it's a fast playing meeting action and the points are about 1500 per side and within about 4 or 5 points of each other. so the forces are evenly matched.

it would be a great blind pbem if anyone were up to that.

andy

spoiler below******************

spoiler******

it's got a ton of vehicles. the last time i was germans and the only vehicle standing after the ami surrender was my lone panther. there were 34 wrecks littering the medium-sized wooded battlefield. in that last game with germans i had ranged far to the left and right with small kampfgruppes of halftracks and armored cars. i was ambushed by some americans reinforcements which show up just as a puma, a psw234/3 (75mm) and 2 spw251/1 halftracks were converging on "grunto" in an m8 hmc in the back of the american town. just as i was closing in, 3 greyhounds showed up on my flank and obliterated that entire force.

having not seen enough, i tried a right hook, my left hook exhausted. unt. rauck rode in an spw251/1 halftrack as that and two other armored machinegun halftracks and an elite puma crept up. the puma took out an m8 greyhound but was knocked out by another greyhound. the 3 remaining mg halftracks tried to ambush one of the approached m8 greyhounds as rauck debarked and camped in the woods.

rauck had his modifiers tweaked so his heavy smg squad had 2 demo charges and 2 of the best panzerfausts. he was also set to 'elite' type. his squad ended up taking out an m8, then were thrown back in an attack on one of the buildings in the ami town by an hq unit. they were down to a 4-4 when the panther drove up and knocked out grunto's m8 hmc and the remaining, immobilized greyhound.

rauck took out the platoon hq during that tank charge and with his exhausted 4-4 was 'in control' of the 'american' town.

the panther went back to the opposite, 'german' end of the board and assisted what amounted to about 2 german squads with no hq, and 1 each of light and heavy mg42. by the end of it the americans were down to a few 1 to 3 man squads and the germans had about 10 infantry men in 3 units scattered across the board including rauck, along with the two mg 42s, and the panther.

a handful of german crews and a couple of 1 and 2 strength infantry units held the original german town.

this scenario is small and moves very quickly. just play it as amis and watch the germans come down the road at the beginning.

well i hope it does justice to the original, 'chance encounter' battle.

andy

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_Deadline:

Andy

Send me this map and I will play this one against you (PBEM).

Then this will be 3 games on the go for us.

Deadline

Mike<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're on! i've sent the file so you can choose ami or german. good luck to both of us in this 'chance meeting action.'

andy

Andy,

I'm three turns into a double-blind PBEM game as the Germans. My one suggestion would be that you consider detailing at least the initial reinforcement schedule in the player's briefing/op order. While I find it realistic that you might not know what is available to help you out within an hour should you get into trouble--which of course is the premise for the scenario. However, it strains credibility to think that you wouldn't know what is a mere 3-5 minutes behind your vanguard on the road. Knowing what I'll have to work with in these initial turns makes a difference in how I set up and operate, and I was (pleasantly) surprised at what rolled onto the map on turns 2 and 3. Just a suggestion for a 1.1 revision. Will let you know how our duel turns out--first blood went to my opponent, but that's mostly because I'd decided to push an empty halftrack forward until it died, so I'd gain intel for the forces following on its heels. Gaining good intel is expensive--but not as costly as ignorance turns out to be!

Jim

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iconoclast:

Andy,

My one suggestion would be that you consider detailing at least the initial reinforcement schedule in the player's briefing/op order. ...it strains credibility to think that you wouldn't know what is a mere 3-5 minutes behind your vanguard on the road. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hi Iconclast,

i will take that into consideration. i've tried to make the reinforcement arrival times fairly unique but will add at least a bit more information on their composition, to the briefings. you're absolutely right, such info would be helpful.

andy