Signals and Communication in the German Army - Genesis?

The Canadian Army experimented with radio equipment (as I'm sure the British must have) in the 1914-18 War, for both air-ground artillery liason as well as tactical control of infantry in the field (IIR Desmond Morton correctly).

The use of signals equipment in tanks was one factor giving the Germans a definite edge over their Soviet counterparts in 1941-42. We can see the importance of signals in artillery units; radio or land lines would have been essential to co-ordinating large volumes of on-call fire (though coloured flares might do in a pinch?)

Looking at the wireless diagram of a recce unit, or an infantry division, gives an idea of the complexity and importance of radio comms to the German Army.

When did they start experimenting with wireless - World War One? Were they any farther ahead than the Allies with regards to communications equipment by 1941?

If memory serves correclty, I remember reading that the Germans were rather advanced in their wireless communications at the start of WWI. The General Staff had this vision of the "new commander" being somebody who didn't have to run around the battlefield directing his troops ... he would, instead, be located in a headquarters with a wireless system that enabled him to issue orders. There was a discussion of this in "The Guns of August," a book by Barbara Tuchman.

Hey Mr. D.

I was wondering if you could breakdown for me the organization of the standard German WWII signals detachments.

Was there a dedicated Btn./Regt./Div. signals unit that facilitated comms through the units in the field?

Or did every unit just have it's own radio net in which to pass traffic. With differing freq's for differing nets. (Command net, arm'd net etc.)

When I served in a signals squadron up in Edmonton, we were tasked with signals for battalion sized units.

Do you know if a standard German armored Btn. in WWII would have an accompanying signals/comms unit attached?

Gpig

Originally posted by Gpig:

Hey Mr. D.

I was wondering if you could breakdown for me the organization of the standard German WWII signals detachments.

Was there a dedicated Btn./Regt./Div. signals unit that facilitated comms through the units in the field?

Or did every unit just have it's own radio net in which to pass traffic. With differing freq's for differing nets. (Command net, arm'd net etc.)

When I served in a signals squadron up in Edmonton, we were tasked with signals for battalion sized units.

Do you know if a standard German armored Btn. in WWII would have an accompanying signals/comms unit attached?

Gpig

Each division did indeed have a signal battalion - they wore lemon yellow waffenfarbe. This was in addition to the signallers in the infantry battalions, armoured battalions, artillery battalions, etc. I'll try and look up the details in Buchner tonight for you if you are interested, but it was the same sorta situation as you would be familiar with. Using the Calgary example (I don't know the names of the units in Edmonton) 746 Communications Squadron in Calgary provides comms at the battlegroup level, but the Calgary HIghlanders, King's Own Calgary Regiment, 33 Field Engineer Squadron etc. would also have their own signallers in the companies/batteries/squadrons.

Thanks, Michael.

No need to look it up for me, but thanks for the offer.

(I was in 745 comm sqdn if'n youz interested.)

I was wondering if the signal battalions in the German Divisions of WWII were outfitted with trucks? Did they ever get halftracks? There must have been dedicated radio vehicles of a standard type, owing to the importance of wireless comms, eh?

This may only be interesting to me, of course. In that case . . . smile.gif

Thanks,

Gpig

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

When did they start experimenting with wireless - World War One? Were they any farther ahead than the Allies with regards to communications equipment by 1941?

Yep the germans had wirless in WW1 , in fact the young Guderian served in a heavy wirless section attached to the Cavalry at the time .

In 1927 the British Army had the Experimental Mechanised Force going . It had Vickers Tankettes armoured cars , a fully moterised Infantry Battalion in both 1/2 tracks and 6x4 trucks , enginners and a full Artillery regiment which had some 18pdr SP guns . Unfortunetly the Force was disbanded in 1929 and the valuable lessons learned were soon forgotten

By 1931 the British Army had radio installed in their tanks . On exercise the commander could control 180+ tanks , A full division effectively . Again the advantages were frittered away .

Originally posted by Gpig:

Hey Mr. D.

Gpig

Gpig, try here: http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/avenue/vy75/toe.htm