So what about the Hungarians?

Drez

We all know they will be in there. What would be their main advantage? Also this question id like to ask about the Rumanians and Italians as well..

I personally find that these three particular allies of germany interest me immensely, however, when i think about it, what sort of equipment to they have that would allow them a victory against russian armour??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by Drez:

We all know they will be in there. What would be their main advantage? Also this question id like to ask about the Rumanians and Italians as well..

I personally find that these three particular allies of germany interest me immensely, however, when i think about it, what sort of equipment to they have that would allow them a victory against russian armour???

I played a QB using the Hungarians (or Romanians -- I forget which) in a QB against the Russians.

They have squad based MGs that appeared to do quite well -- I was able to pin down an attacking Russian force quite well with them.

In addition, the Romanian/Hungarian HMG I had did a pretty good job of panicking an oncoming Russian BT series armored car.

They also shout unintelligible things, like all the other soldiers in this game . . .

Really, they could be asking the price of roast beef in Lisbon and we wouldn't know the difference.

Steve

Here is a quite good page about Hungarian

armor:http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/hun/Hungary.html

What were the advantages of the Hungarians? Most of their weapons were obsolete, but not all of them. The 40mm Bofors AA gun was one of the best of its time. It was very accurate, and it was not too bad against tanks. It was also used mounted on tracked chassis, it was the Nimrod.

The Zrinyi assault guns were also decent weapons, specially with the 105mm gun.

The Hungarians achieved good results with German equipment. In '44 there was a Hungarian Tiger I platoon, and the german trainers surprised, how good are the Hungarians in aiming. (They had learn to aim good, to survive a battle in a 40mm Turan smile.gif They were also well trained mechanics. There were a couple of Hungarian Panthers too. They also fought well, and the Hungarian tank crews proved to be equal to the Germans, if they used the same equipment. I haven't read too much about Hungarian Pz IVs, but I think most of them were obsolete E, F, F2 series in 43-44.

But, sometimes good results could be achieved not only by the most modern technics. In the battle of Budapest a Hungarian unit borrowed an old, SdKfz 222 (its cannon was dismounted), and made a surprise attack on Russian mortars on the Margit Island. They towed an AT gun, and they carried 12 HE ammo for it. They reached the destination, and knocked out all of the russian mortars. It was took only 2-3 minutes. They not even fixed the "legs" (sorry I'dont know the proper English word smile.gif of the gun! On the way back, the throwed hand grenades onto the Russian machinegunners from the car. The mission was so succesful, that they repeated it on the same day, without the gun, to make it more quick. So don't say that a turretless SdKfz 222 is useless in 1945! :D