Radeon 9700 Pro upgrade?

I just updated my system to the Radeon 9700 pro.

I had removed the old video drivers and updated the VIA virtual GART drivers. Then installed the new drivers with the card. CMBB, then started to have complete system crash problems. After, going over the problem with ATI tech, the problem was the catalyst drivers, so they were in turned updated to the new one, the 3.4. This fixed the system crash.

However, now I get a random freeze.

My system is a P4 (2.4b), with on board audio on a DFI PE21-EL motherboard. Running with the video card set at anti alizsing and Anisotropic Filtering set to application preference. AGP 8x.

Any suggestions to track down the random freeze?

Thanks.

The heat level does not seem high, I do have a heat exchange fan that takes heat off the MB and pulls it out of the box.

And I will get a lock up, again, at times, sometimes shortly after starting the computer, so there should be no heat build up at that point.

My prior video card was a nVidea, I will run a system clean sweep tonight and see if it comes up with anything that was missed.

My son has noticed that Ghos Recon does hang sometimes too. So, it is not a CMBB problem.

Tom

Thank you, Fuerte. That did the trick. I also found on a ATI Technology Forum, called Rage3D.com, advised the same thing, along with upping the apg voltage to 1.7.

For awhile there, I was calling the Radeon 9700pro a Panther tank. Sure, it is great when it works, but when it doesnt, what good is it?!

Now, the teething problem is fixed.

Thanks again guys for helping me get back on the front.

Tom