AI settings

Bought the game last week.

I was getting my butt handed to me at first, but now I've gotten used to the game. I'm afraid that before long the AI will not be very challenging (I will go to PBEM soon).

I want to set the AI experince and unit amounts a bit higher. Being that a scenerio takes quite a bit of time however, I don't want it set to unreasonable.

Any sugesstions as to a good challenging level for the AI.

I do play with total Fog of War.

Das Baron

The AI is better on defense than offense so try playing more attack and assault scenarios. I don't find defending versus the AI very interesting as merely increasing it's pts values generally doesn't add INTEREST to defending vs the AI. It still attacks in the same one large mass movement. With more points, you simply leave more dead AI units (or there are simply TOO many enemy troops and you run out of ammo or are COMPLETELY overrun).

Pete

A simple way to increase the difficulty a little bit is to turn off detailed armor hit messages and turn off the show all paths/target lines feature. You can access these all from the main command menu. Playing well-designed scenarios as the attacker also helps. To get the full experience, play against a human.

Give it at least a +1 experience bonus (maybe +2 when the AI has to attack).

And, try some of the specifically Player vs. AI created scenarios, like my Axis campaign. 'Normal' scenarios are ususally balanced for two human players.

Fred

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: Fred ]

I dunno -- I find the AI is a good oppenent on any scenario I haven't played. On ones I have played I won't stop until a get at least a Major victory off the beast.

I always have a sneaking hunch that the AI knows exactly where to find the keyhole shot for it's tanks -- in otherwords it has perfect vision.

This brings up question for me on the AI's sense of LOS. I've noticed it passing thru a keyhole shot and then pin pointing it exactly for the next move and showing up in that exact spot. Now this is only the times I can positively identify (by being targeted on by my man targeting on his own) Does the AI remember all keyhole shots as it passes thru them? Say your entering some scattered trees and you want to be just far enough in to gain LOS but not so far to reveal yourself until you pop off your shot. Does the AI know this exact spot for itself?

I grew up playing in bush and am very good (not professional quality I'm sure) at the sneak and concealment. I am starting to get a feel for it in CM but I would say it takes a long time and I cannot approach it with the same degree of assuredness that I can in reality. Mind you I've never tried to hide with eleven other men around me!