Eureka! Campaing Shell System: TACOPS

While contemplating and wondering about what sort of system to use for Campaigns, it suddenly dawned upon me that there exists a system that can be used.

It is called TACOPS and it is already part of the Battlefront product offering. It even comes in PC and MAC versions.

Now then, here is what would be required, as I see it.

1. Develop a database for WWII units, or allow users to develop that.

2. Enlarge the scale to where the maps are 1:100,00 or greater. Maps can still be the 2 elevations they currently are, as what is most critical are the movement rates.

3. Create Unit footprints, similar to that seen in Decisive Action. Barring this, make it so that battles occue when opposing unit icons/counters come within a certain set meters of each other or when the opposing icons touch.

4. Set wepaons engagement ranges to zero. In other words, units on the TACOPS do not engage each other. The battles would occur as per #3 above. CM would be the tool to determine battle outcomes.

5. CM battle combat results would be manually input into the TACOPS shell by the players (primarily by updating the unit equipment, logistics, and manning levels as well as morale state).

6. The TACOPS system uses 1 minute impulses like CM. Make those 1 minute Impulses variable, to where they might represent 10 minutes, or 15 minutes. This would represent the Operational Level as opposed to the tactical level of movement.

7. Best of all, it allows MAJ H. to develop this in conjunction with BTS. There already exists that relationship. It's win win for all involved.

Very interesting. I've not played TACOPS but from all I have heard it is a wonderful game. Further, from what I hear the Major is very similar to the BTS gang in terms of approachability and dedication to both their games and their customers.

It sure would be nice to have a seamless meta-system that would automate campaign routines. I could see this being workable both single-player and massive-multiplayer.

A gamer can dream...

BTW, Blackhorse, send me a setup sometime if you want to play another game. Been awhile...

Why not use TOAW, and have a game master send out files to the commanders, they can move their units, but not attack. The commanders declare which units they want to attack, and the game-master moves the TOAW units back and forth in hotseat mode depending on the outcome of a combat mission battle.