My CMAK cd is defective!

Yes, it is not uncommon for some CD drives to take close to (if not more) than 10 minutes to fully spin up and access the CD. Seems some drives do this on CD's with as much data as CMAK (just a tad over 650 megs).

If it looks like the system is locked up, just sit back, be patient and wait, that seems to do the trick.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Eddy:

Try posting for a third time. That might solve it ;)

Cheers [/QB]

I apologizes for the multiple postings. I got a 404 error page when I tried to post it, so I used the back button and tried again, not knowing the initial attempt succeeded. I tried to delete that other post, but it wouldn't let me.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Yes, it is not uncommon for some CD drives to take close to (if not more) than 10 minutes to fully spin up and access the CD. Seems some drives do this on CD's with as much data as CMAK (just a tad over 650 megs).

If it looks like the system is locked up, just sit back, be patient and wait, that seems to do the trick.

Madmatt

Thank you for your reply. The CD has visible scratches on the data surface, and the CD drive is making some very disturbing sounds trying to read it. The CD reading process is in a hard lock at 0 percent progress for over 5 minutes and cannot be aborted (I had to reboot the machine). I don't have ordering information from my friend yet: this is where I regret getting it as a gift because the person who bought it is not the same as the person trying to install it. When I get home tonight I'll try it again but wait longer.

Yeah, I would try again and wait at least ten minutes. While the CD scans the disc it can seem as if the system is totaly locked up, just be patient. Several people have emailed me with almost the exact same issue but when they waited, the cd install eventually did kick off.

Most light surface scracthes can be removed by simply cleaning the disc with a diluted solution of alcohol and a Q-tip. See the troubleshooting guide for more info on that.

Of course, if none of this works, get the info from your buddy and then contact sales@battelfront.com

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Of course, if none of this works, get the info from your buddy and then contact sales@battelfront.com

Madmatt

Yep, the disc is definitely fried. I can't even bring up the autoplay screen to begin the installation process. The disc whirrs, then it slows down, whirrs, slows down, etc. No luck on Q-Tips and Rubbing Alcohol, the scratch bit a pretty good chunk out of the data surface.