PzKw. III vs. T-34 duel - A good story

Olaf

The article, Panzer Commander's Hussar Ride, can be found in this months (FEB 02) issue of World War II. The magazine costs $5 US and $6 Canadian.

Sergeant Fischer of the 5th SS Panzer Division Viking is ordered to hunt down some T-34s that have broken through and are chewing up some rear echelon units.

It is the winter of 1944 in Russia and descibes maintenance problems, slipping on the winter ice, using buildings for cover and concealment while shooting, using HE rounds to get T-34s to move so as to shoot with AP, and a bunch of other things that show how tank crews operated and engaged the enemy.

Their 50mm cannon is outdated but they manage to do the job.

He is credited with 17 confirmed tank kills during his 5 years of service.

For you Eastern Front history buffs, it mentions the Belgian volunteers who served as infantry during the engagements.

I just got my copy of the magazine today. BTW-I have every single copy of this magazine since the first issue came out in 1980 something. Every issue even has the throw away subscription cards in them :D I was thinking about putting them on e-bay but I cant part with them. I'll let my kids sell them when I am planted at the Custer Battlefield Cemetery tongue.gif

;)

One thing i like about WWII magazine is that it is linked to about.com, and the articles seem to be related to the current features in about.com which is free of charge viewing.

Sniffing out some of the recent articles in about.com relating to the eastern front:

Stalingrad Sixty years on, the battle fought along the banks of the Volga River remains one of the most brutal in the history of warfare.

Winter Tempest in Stalingrad

Paulus and Hitler: A Dialogue with the Deaf.

[ December 17, 2002, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: laxx ]