Obituary to Lt. Corkin

Well, I played a quick DYO battle today for a village. I let the computer select its German forces and I selected my forces. I had a platoon of American paras, platoon of American glider troops, a Brit Abn sniper, and assorted Canadian and Polish manned vehicles (one vehicle was manned by a Cpl. Sosabowski!).

Well, I rout the advance Germans easily (along with a magnificent fighter bomber), with the majority of my forces on my left flank. MISTAKE! Suddenly, a few squads of SS rifle infantry charge madly into my left flank. My 30 cal., 60mm mortar, and two scouting vehicles luckily hold them off, although the commander of a Bren Carrier is hit, rendering the MG useless. Then, I hear a "THUNK!" and look to see a unidentified gun in the forest. After this, a hornet's nest of Wermacht infantry opens up just as another gun appears among them and takes out my Polish manned Sherman.

I know that the guns will make mincemeat out of my paras if I wait. So, I call on Lt Corkin and Sgt Conklin's para squad to destroy the gun near the T-junction. Bravely obeying, they charge into a building, al the time under fire from Wermacht on the hill. Then , the gun opens up and kills Corkin's HQ unit in one blast. I've never seen a braver action.

Now, the Germans are surrounding this one poor squad and picking away. The other gun is destroyed by a Polish SP gun (Sexton). I then charge the hill with 2 Para squads, 2 glider squads, and a White Scout car in support.

Magnificent! I felt like I was watching a movie! They ran up to the squad doing the most damage to the besieged AB squad and went into fierce hand to hand combat. End result: Hill cleared, German surrender, Allied total vicory (16 Casualties, 1 tank Ko'd).

I LOVE THIS GAME! biggrin.gif

------------------