Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Friendly fire

Was playing a QB the other day, and clicked on one of my 150mm guns to see how it was doing, when I noticed a red targeting line leading to it... curiously, it was targeted by one of my own squads, about 200m to the side of it, when the enemy was about 500 to 800m in front of both units. I had never given any targeting commands to that squad, so it had picked the target on its own. Strange.

The time was dawn and the visibility was pretty good, and while I wouldn't be surprised if the squad had targeted some other friendlies downrange, this caught me off-guard.

You'd think two MG's and elements of a recon company in rubbled buildings in close contact with the enemy would be much easier to mistake for enemies, even for a veteran squad, than a 150mm infantry gun that had already been firing for several turns.

Sometimes these random elements seem to be slightly too random.

You said close contact, but in your first post you said 500-800m.

I take your point about the oddness of their choice of target, however. Let's hope your 150mm infantry gun and your squad don't get into a full-blown firefight. I wouldn't put too much money on the squad coming out of it in one piece! :D

Originally posted by Soddball:

You said close contact, but in your first post you said 500-800m.

The friendly firing squad and the gun were about 500 to 800m from enemy forward elements; the recon squads were about 100m from the forward enemy positions, with two MG's backing them up further back. Shooting at the recon squads wouldn't have been odd at all, in all that rubble any men that far away might be easily mistaken for enemies.

The gun and my backup forces OTOH were situated on a peaceful hill, about 300 to 400m behind the backmost friendly forward elements (the MG's), which isn't very likely position to get shot at by mistake, especially by the very units that are supposed to secure your flank -- who needs enemies with friends like that.

Luckily they didn't cause much damage, or else I would've shot them, the traitorous bastards (those 150mm guns are lovely in 800pt QB's).

[ November 18, 2002, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: Engel ]