CM forum server overloaded?

Guest Big Time Software

There was some odd thing that happened this afternoon, most likely due to a networking problem earlier at our ISP. As it is we have a duel 500 P3 system, so I really hope we don't need to upgrade AGAIN smile.gif

Steve

Dual P300 should be OK if you have enough RAM -- 500 to 600M should be enough.

You are running NT, I imagine.

There is something you can do to speed up disk transfers on NT servers, set UDMA on. Speeds up disk transfers by about 40%. See www.arstechnica.com.

Also if you are running something like Oracle, that has its own buffering and cacheing, you can set NT to Maximize for Network Applications instead of for file serving. But it depends on what you are running.

Microsoft also decided at the time NT was written that it should be able to page part of the NT kernel to disk (yikes!!), that was because at the time NT was released memory was much more expensive and they wanted people to be able to run NT Server on about 32M of RAM. ha ha ha. Turn off paging of the executive, arstechnica explains how to do that too.

If pageing occurs (not likely), put page files on multiple devices across multiple controllers if you have them. Speeds up reads and writes to pagefile, parallelizes them. This only helps if you are a bit short on physical memory.

If running UNIX, the odds are your server is tuned. Maybe some kernel parameters can be changed, let me know if you want more info. A great resource for this is Oracle8 and UNIX High-Performance Tuning, by Ahmed Alomari, Prentice Hall. No fluff in that book.

Regards,

Pat.

(Oracle DBA, 1 exam short of MCSE)