Tutorials...more of them.

CMBB posses uncanny AI and exciting visuals at ground level and deserves a more universal audience than the usual wargamer and the odd person (such as myself) who is always on the look out for something different. As a simulation player I'm accustomed to every new game, be it a flight sim or even a FPS, to have a series of tutorials which take you through the basics, introduce you to the weapons and how to use them and make you proficient in both attack and defence before you enter a campaign. CMBB has just one beginner's tutorial that will wrongly convince you that if you have a KV-1 you are invincible and an advanced tutorial which is designed for CMBO experts and literally throws you in at the deep end. Maybe an expansion pack is the answer but in the meantime perhaps you experts could post some imteresting scenarios at the scenario depot (I would give you the address but every time I try to do so I enter the depot) where you could explain and demonstrate some basic manouevres. For example how to place your anti tank guns so that they don't get taken out too soon. How to take out armor when all you have is infantry and so on.

Having said all this I'm sure somebody will now tell me where these tutorials are.

Incoming.... :cool:

I posted a suggestion over in the scenario forum. Have a look.

About AT guns. That´s certainly tricky. I´d suggest that you have a look at the Axxis setup in a scenario done by Rune which comes with the CD. Unfortunately I only have the German title, but it´s the one where the Russians assault either Hungarians or Romanians (not 100% sure now and CMBB is on another computer) in the attack to encircle Stalingrad in winter 42.

-

-

--- S P O I L E R ---

-

-

The placement of bunkers and AT assets there is pure evilness. Most of them can´t be seen from many areas but their own, small killing zone in avenues of approach the enemy will use. This one sentence sums up pretty well what you need to achieve when setting them up. Some are perfectly placed for flank shots, others behind ridges etc. etc. If you study this one or play the attacking Russians you´ll get a painful lesson how to set them up. But, try something smaller first, like the Riesberg scenario I suggested.

Nolloff

[ October 21, 2002, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Nolloff ]

This isn't a tutorial of the scenario type, but if you are looking for info to help grasp the basics of the game (as well as many "advanced" ideas), check out the thread "Anthology of Useful Posts", by "markshot". It has a list of great threads, grouped by common situations/problems/ideas/etc. Hope this helps. smile.gif

Thanks KEEF888 That is very helpful. I have been trying out Nolloff's suggestion to tackle Riesberg and of course got murdered as the Germans were holed up in every building and I had no idea how to assault a building. I turned to the posting on Assaulting a Town and immediately got some useful advice on how to tackle individual buildings ie do you run up and kick down the door or do you sneak in. The answer appears to be to sneak in so I'll now give that a try. Thanks all.

Andrew aka whizbang

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, yes! I agree whole heartedly. Some advice given to me by some of the other vets around here has been to 'stick to the small engagements' and let the comp pick the units. However I do wish that there were a couple more n00b tutorials that outlined the strength/weakness of different equipment types and how to best utilize them. Oh well...just need to play more!

Nolloff...Im going to email you for a copy of that AAR too if thats alright.

Thanks!