Some MG Questions

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Splash:

The Stuart has three MG's bow, coaxial and flexible isn't it? How are these arranged and how are they coordinated?<hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure your question was answered, so here goes...

The bow machine gun is fired by the co-driver/radio operator. It's mounted on the front hull of the tank, and can be swung in a limited arc side to side and up and down. Thus, it is limited to firing the same general direction the tank is pointed, much like a Stug's main gun.

The coaxial machine gun is fired by the gunner, who also aims and fires the main armament. This gun is mounted in sync with the main gun (i.e., coaxially) so that the gunner can use the same sight as he uses for the main gun - he just pulls a different trigger if the target in the crosshairs is a truck instead of a tank.

The flexible (or AA) mount is on the top of the tank, and is fired by the tank commander. On most tanks, this can only be done when the tank is unbuttoned, thereby making the tank commander vulnerable to return fire. On many tanks, this machine gun has a 360 degree traverse and significant elevation, facilitating its use as an anti-aircraft weapon. On most American WWII era tanks, this gun was a .50 caliber browning, whereas the other two MGs were both .30 caliber.

Thus, an unbuttoned Sherman can engage three targets simultaneously: one with the bow MG (but it can fire only in the same general direction that the tank hull is pointed); one with the main armament and coaxial MG (but only in the direction that the turret is pointed, and note that these two weapons are "slaved" together so they must fire at the exact same target); and the flexible or AA machine gun can fire in any direction at any target, but only at the risk of the tank commander getting hit and making the whole crew shocked.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Wait until we get to CMBB, where there are multiple "sub-turrets" housing additional machine guns (T-28), or machine guns mounted in the rear of the turret (KV-1). Of course, these might cause so many coding difficulties that these vehicles might not be correctly modeled until the engine rewrite...

I was under the impression it had already been stated that the multiple turreted/gunned tanks would not be part of CMBB because of limitations in the engine. This means no T26 (early), T28, T35 or Lee/Grant. I'm unsure how they'll handle the rear-facing MG on the KV series.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redeker:

I'm not sure your question was answered, so here goes...

The bow machine gun is fired by the co-driver/radio operator. It's mounted on the front hull of the tank, and can be swung in a limited arc side to side and up and down. Thus, it is limited to firing the same general direction the tank is pointed, much like a Stug's main gun.

The coaxial machine gun is fired by the gunner, who also aims and fires the main armament. This gun is mounted in sync with the main gun (i.e., coaxially) so that the gunner can use the same sight as he uses for the main gun - he just pulls a different trigger if the target in the crosshairs is a truck instead of a tank.

The flexible (or AA) mount is on the top of the tank, and is fired by the tank commander. On most tanks, this can only be done when the tank is unbuttoned, thereby making the tank commander vulnerable to return fire. On many tanks, this machine gun has a 360 degree traverse and significant elevation, facilitating its use as an anti-aircraft weapon. On most American WWII era tanks, this gun was a .50 caliber browning, whereas the other two MGs were both .30 caliber.

Thus, an unbuttoned Sherman can engage three targets simultaneously: one with the bow MG (but it can fire only in the same general direction that the tank hull is pointed); one with the main armament and coaxial MG (but only in the direction that the turret is pointed, and note that these two weapons are "slaved" together so they must fire at the exact same target); and the flexible or AA machine gun can fire in any direction at any target, but only at the risk of the tank commander getting hit and making the whole crew shocked.

I hope this helps.

<hr></blockquote>

Loud and clear Redeker

Thanx

smile.gif