questions/thoughts on Nijmegan (spoilers)

Guest aaronb

Dear Wild Bill:

Having just fought my opponent to a draw (I took the Americans), and generally truly enjoying the scenario (esp. the nail-biting river crossing), I am moved to ask:

Why did his reinforcements pop up on 'my' side of the river right smack in the middle of my left-hook attack? It seemed like they were hiding in concealed bunkers, then chose to emerge intermixed with one of my fresh platoons. By the time we were finished, the reinforcements were dead or captured, and my platoon was not so fresh.

Was I not supposed to have advanced so far by that time?

I am wondering about the rationale behind putting the Axis reinforcements in that location.

You did move fast Aaron, you too Von Brizee. In testing, the turn of entry seemed appropriate for the testers.

Of course, I never realized what type of gut-stomping, hell bent for leather players were out there or how good they would be biggrin.gif

I'll be happy to take a fresh look at it. I appreciate your comments. I want them to be the best that they can be.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Of course, I never realized what type of gut-stomping, hell bent for leather players were out there or how good they would be<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My staff feel the same way about me, at least the gut-stomping part...

Had I chosen a broad front, or gone up the right, it would have been slower, and the reinforcements would have appeared more naturally. I chose a left-flank circular sweep because of the apparent pillboxes on the right, and because a broad front makes it tough to defeat-in-detail through local superiority.

And the half-circle sweep has the effect of broadly pinning the opponent at first, then catching him at the side and back later.

It would have worked even better if I hadn't used my Shermans and Priests as close-assault vehicles.

In conclusion, the play-testers must not have tried the left sweep.

Most likely you are right. This can be fixed. I'll probably post an update on it later.

We are asking BTS to post a zip file containing all scenarios updated that came on the disk so you can have the latest versions. That should be ready soon.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com

A simple fix. I simply advanced the turn of entry from turn 7 to turn 5. This plays better even with the left hook option you guys have mentioned. Thanks for letting me know.. I'll post a revision or you can go into the editor, click on units, German reinforcements #2 and change the turn of entry to 5. Then save and its done.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Germanboy

As the opponent of AaronB in this one I would like to add that I really enjoyed this scenario, and the unmitigated carnage it contained. The simultaneous kill of a gun and a tank in the closing seconds of the last turn made an already riveting game even better. Nicely done this one.

And AAronB may be gut-stomping and stuff, but he learned a thing or two about the use of unsupported tanks in an urban environment... Great game Aaron.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 10-28-2000).]

German Boy! Good to hear from you. And of course, you are right. Tanks on those small streets without infantry support are relatively easy meat.

Not many games portray this as well as CM and the newly revised SPWAW.

The dogface, tommy, grenadier finally get their due.

I really like your website...

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com

[This message has been edited by Wild Bill Wilder (edited 10-28-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

German Boy! Good to hear from you. And of course, you are right. Tanks on those small streets without infantry support are relatively easy meat.

Not many games portray this as well as CM and the newly revised SPWAW.

The dogface, tommy, grenadier finally get their due.

I really like your website...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the accolade WBW - unfortunately I can only wish I had the skills of Grego (Mensch) who designed it. All I can do is offer sub-par scenarios (kidding - I actually rather like them myself) on it.

If I get around to it (which would mean less Halloween parties) I will definitely want to do an AAR on the Nijmegen one with AaronB.

But you are right that CM does portray the vulnerability of the tank extremely well. I always chuckle when somebody describes CM as a 'long-range tank sugfest' as one guy did on the main board the other day.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 10-29-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

If I get around to it (which would mean less Halloween parties) I will definitely want to do an AAR on the Nijmegen one with AaronB.

But you are right that CM does portray the vulnerability of the tank extremely well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I kept almost all the turns - the first few may be AWOL, so no-one will see your recon vehicle die so ignominiously. They will, however, see my Priest and assorted other vehicles blow up.

It was one heck of a game, almost every turn at high tension. If BTS had modelled each casualty (as some would have liked), the 'charnel house' would have been hip-deep. So I'm glad they didn't.

As for learning about unsupported tanks, you can lead a horse to water, but will he make the same mistakes again? We'll see. I spent so many years playing 'uber-tank' games that the habit is hard to break. I've met a couple of former CC players in CM, and watched them try and fail to tank their way out of problems, or resign when their armour was gone.

My current PBEM opponents have slowed or vanished, if there's another Wild Bill scenario you haven't played, send a setup.