Foxholes and Trenches

I have been puzzled as to why ,when defending in a QB against a probe, you may not start with any foxholes but may construct trenches or a whole trench system---which provides better and larger scale defense and safer movement opportunities than the simple foxholes.

Is there any specific reason for this differentiation.

Thanks

Originally posted by pcelt:

I have been puzzled as to why ,when defending in a QB against a probe, you may not start with any foxholes but may construct trenches or a whole trench system---which provides better and larger scale defense and safer movement opportunities than the simple foxholes.

Is there any specific reason for this differentiation.

Thanks

I thought the manual said the defender is not allowed to spend any of their points on fortifications in a "probe" scenario?

Yup-----now I understand. I was playing this particular QB v Probe with the defense option "Force Type" as "unrestricted" which then also clearly allows you to select any of the "fortification" purchases as well even against a probe.

Where the "unrestricted" Force option is not used ,but a "force type" is specified then the fortification purchases are not available.

At last I have removed one confusion from my poor addled brain .

Thanks to all who chipped in with contributions :D