BTS - Smoke Bug still in v. 1.12

Hello BTS,

I'm surprised that the "firing smoke when not ordered" bug is still in the game.

I've reported this bug 3 times; two times on this board and once via email to Steve. At least 8 or 9 other customers reported the bug too.

I'm using v 1.12 (PC, PIII 800, GeForce 2 GTS, 128 MB RAM)

Type of bug: Severe

Frequency: Every scenario played, whenever an order to HE shell infantry is given

Reproducable: Yes, in every scenario with tanks and/or guns.

Descreption:

A veteran Pz IV was ordered to HE shell a british squad in a light building, 300 m away.

The Pz IV was unbuttoned, has a clear LOS and no enemy was engaging the Pz IV.

Execution:

The very first thing the Pz did, was to cancel my order and fire 2 smoke rounds into the building; then, suddenly, he indeed used one HE shell (with good results) vs. the squad. Before firing the next shell, the smoke (that he fired before) obscured the vision to the squad, so no more fire happened.

The smoke helped the enemy.

A crack 75 ATG (foxhole in woods) was ordered to HE shell a US MG some 400 m away. The ATG was not engaged by any enemy.

Execution:

The very first thing the ATG did, was to cancel my order and fire 3 smoke rounds into the building; then, suddenly, it indeed used one HE shell (with good results) vs. the MG. Before firing the next shell, the smoke (that he fired before) obscured the vision to the MG, so no more fire happened.

The smoke helped the enemy.

It goes on, and on, and on...

Two major problems arise:

a) The smoke almost always (90%) helped the enemy.

B) When in real need(!) of smoke rounds later in the game, they are all gone for these nonsense fire missions!

Conclusion:

This is neither "smart AI behaviour", nor is it "war is hell and **** happens"; this is simply a serious bug in the Combat Mission code and should be fixed as such.

This is the fourth time that I (and others) report this problem, and I really hope that this (the last severe bug in a now nearly flawless code) will be fixed soon.

Fred

(P.S. I post this message in the technical CM board and in the main CM board).