Odd Question

Infantry and Armor - You can hide a squad or a team and then place them on the back of a tank. The graphic shows them as hiding even though they become a passenger. Are they still hiding on the back of the tank? I mean, while that tank is moving, is it more difficult to see that squad on the back?

Another question - What is the difference between a Sherman with a 75MM gun and one with 75(W)?

I don't believe they could be hiding on the tank. I've seen the same thing, but honestly, how could 9 - 12 guys ride on a tank and be hiding? ;)

Regarding the W, that isn't a gun notation. Shermans with the W store their ammo differently than Shermans without the W, making them less likely to catch fire. (I believe, though I'm by no means certain, that the rounds in a tank with a W are stored in water or similar.)

Infantry riding on the back of Shermans, tigers, Panthers... ect can't hide while riding. You can place hiding units on the rear of armor during setup while they are hiding but they will return to normal status after you hit go.

The W is for wet stowage

( glycerine-protected), the ammunition storage area had a water jacket around it to reduce/contain explosions if the storage was hit and the ammunition ignited and howitzer-armed vehicles had internal armour plates on ammunition racks.

I hope this helps

Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

Infantry and Armor - You can hide a squad or a team and then place them on the back of a tank. The graphic shows them as hiding even though they become a passenger. Are they still hiding on the back of the tank? I mean, while that tank is moving, is it more difficult to see that squad on the back?

Even though the graphic shows the squad hiding, and the unit info box lists their status as hiding, it confers absolutely no advantage.

I had a similiar question when I noticed that you could order a squad to HIDE in open ground. I wondered if it made them harder to spot. But when I ran a series of tests, I saw that they were spotted just as easily as a squad standing in the open.

So even though you are allowed to order a unit to HIDE anywhere you want, it is the terrain that determines any bonus from issuing the hide order. It makes sense that the back of a tank is not an appropriate terrain for 9-12 men to effectively hide.