Company and Battalion HQ?

Besides using these hqs as forward observers for morters how else are they useful in gameplay. I sometimes use company hqs as replacement platoon hqs if they get knocked out. But besides that, i usually just place them out of harms way. Is there any other uses.

Ah, good topic Cooper.

One time when I had a platoon HQ unit with low or no leadership abilities, I used a company HQ unit with high degree of leadership qualities in conjunction as platoon leader. (As I am writing this, I am wondering if this is considerd a gamey tactic. I suppose it is to some degree, and maybe I won't use it anymore.)

Anyway, I didn't have any ATG's or on board motars that needed a company HQ unit so I used him in other valuble ways.

What I did was use the company HQ (had a +2 command) to extend a few squads further up front on the lines. Is that gamey?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What I did was use the company HQ (had a +2 command) to extend a few squads further up front on the lines. Is that gamey?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think so. Battalion might have something to say about "not having company commanders so they can go play platoon leader", but, on the other hand, the company commander was using his leadership abilities to get the job done. It wasn't stictly orthodox, but there are an awful lot of "unorthodox" commanders in history that were awfully successful.

Recently I had a lowly platoon commander which I sent scouting and placed the squad under company command. I saw that PHQ as the most expendable and in as much as they ran into the AI's main flanking attack it was a lucky thing for me. (they were MUCH closer than I would have thought) I was dismayed to seem them put up a fight and get wiped-- I really felt guilty.