Again with the 'Mapper's Friend'...

A look at the rapidly changing and growing 'Mappers Friend', a compilation of tips for map makers with an eye toward aesthetics. Here are a few screen captures...

View?u=1567327&a=11906199&p=48763439&Sequence=0&res=high

If you'd like to contribute your own map making tips (since more than half of Mapper's Friend is info stolen from these forums), please do so!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

If you'd like to contribute your own map making tips (since more than half of Mapper's Friend is info stolen from these forums), please do so!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'd like to read it. Got a URL?

Terence

Well, it's not available or complete yet, and is a project I was working on for some friends. Four other gents I play PBEM's with and I have for some time been creating made to order QB maps for one another to play dbl blind games. A while back, my dance card started to dry up because my droogs frequently wanted to play on my maps. And the rule was, of course, if you made a map you couldn't play on it for fairness' sake. Two of my friends, feeling bad for getting to play, play, play while I mapped, mapped, mapped asked me to record my thought process when making a map for custom QB's (or any map, actually).

I thought it daunting at first, but have had quite a bit of fun doing it. I was just looking for signs of interest to decide whether to release it to the people at large.

It'll be done shortly (completion is about 65% currently), and since somebody is interested, I'll put it up at DFDR.net for download. I'll also send it to anyone else who'd like to post it on their site. (Manx for sure, though, he might like it for the Workshop).

And like I said, anyone with their own tips or advice, post it here and I'll try to squeeze it in!

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: Clubfoot ]

Well, it's not available or complete yet, and is a project I was working on for some friends. Four other gents I play PBEM's with and I have for some time been creating made to order QB maps for one another to play dbl blind games. A while back, my dance card started to dry up because my droogs frequently wanted to play on my maps. And the rule was, of course, if you made a map you couldn't play on it for fairness' sake. Two of my friends, feeling bad for getting to play, play, play while I mapped, mapped, mapped asked me to record my thought process when making a map for custom QB's (or any map, actually).

I thought it daunting at first, but have had quite a bit of fun doing it. I was just looking for signs of interest to decide whether to release it to the people at large.

It'll be done shortly (completion is about 65% currently), and since somebody is interested, I'll put it up at DFDR.net for download. I'll also send it to anyone else who'd like to post it on their site. (Manx for sure, though, he might like it for the Workshop).

And like I said, anyone with their own tips or advice, post it here and I'll try to squeeze it in!

[ 05-24-2001: Message edited by: Clubfoot ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One thing I've noticed on a few maps -- water that flows uphill.

This is just silly and careless, and is enough to make me seriously question playing the rest of the scenario if I notice it early enough.

I think to myself -- what else did the designer miss?

[ 05-25-2001: Message edited by: Terence ]

Ah yes, waterways that obviously have names like "Ol' bumpy" or "Lake Staircase". Isn't that unsightly?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lake Slanty was in one scenario -- I opened it up in the editor to be sure I wasn't going nudz. The middle of the lake was at elevation 6 but the north third of it was at 7 and the south third at 5. Very bizarre looking.

The way it was set up, you could set up a reverse slope defense behind a lake.

[ 05-25-2001: Message edited by: Terence ]

Great idea !

You want a bunker with a turret ? or a concrete mg nest in the entrance of a fort?

Have a look on these pics from my Cherbourg Map smile.gif

tourelle.jpg

pont.jpg

it works very well !!!

For the turreted bunker: place a bunker in the same place of a H39 tank in open ground. Then you come back to the map editor and you change the open ground tile for a terrain wich is not allowed for vehicles. This is necessary if you don't want to see your tank moving ;).

For the MG nest. Place a bunker on a bridge (or under I don't remember ;)) It's very difficult to destroy and so it's very lethal...

I was using Magua buildings...

I'll send you the map when I'll be back home... This one is from a historical campagne of 4 scenarios... I would like to finish it in july. After the french version, I'll certainly make an english one smile.gif.

• 5 weeks later...

Hal,

Took a break on the mapper's friend to do the Utah bit. I'll get back to it when Pointe du Hoc is finished.

As for defeating those persistent Germans in Victor South, see the other thread about Utah in this area. Manx should have the new version up soon, and it's weighted a little more in the Allies favor (although I feel they now have too much, others seem to think it's a good change).