That lucky little bastard.......

Guest dirkd1976

Guest dirkd1976

I was wondering what kind of blind luck you guys out there have had in your CM games. He's my story: I was playing the valley senario in the CM Gold Demo as the defending germans. I had my 75mm bunker setup on the hill overlooking the right half of the board and my 150mm(?) peaking out of the woods on the left hand side. The first turn my anti- tank bunker took out a sherman and was knocked out by the other one (lousy americans). My infatry gun was taken out on round 5 by artillery. I thought the game was pretty much over. There was 1 sherman left and I knew he would be getting 4 more reinenforement tanks. I thought, what the hell, I'll give it a go, maybe my panzerschrecks will get lucky. I dont need to tell you how badly I was beaten back by the tanks during the following turns. Everthing changed when my Panther finally showed up. I rolled up over the hill to a hull down position and took out 2 Shermans with 2 shots in the same turn. OK, I thought, with a little luck I can whip these yankee dogs. I said a prayer to the Luck God asking for his help and I got it, in bucketloads. My Panther rolled over the hill down into the town and proceeded to destroy the remaining 3 Shermans while only taking 2 ricochet hills. Then I chewed up his little woosey grunts after I was done mopping up the shermans. I ended up driving back his force and coming out of it with a minor victory. Whew, I was sweting bullets by the time the game was over with. 5 Shermans and a crapload of infantry were all dead thanks to the well buit Panther!!! This is no lie, I cant even tell you guys how excited I was, I felt like dancing around the house. I'd like to hear some of your stories of lucky breaks you've had in CM. Best of luck and happy gaming!!!

Now is it luck, or is it 80MM of face-hardened steel at 55* that allowed you to survive?

But seriously, you'll amass a whole closet full of wonderful little situations like this before you're done playing this game.

Welcome to the fray!

------------------

"Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you. Take it easy, Dude." -- The Stranger

The Dude abides.

Gawd, there's so many, they're all startin' to run together in my head. I guess my favourite lucky moment was KIA'ing a King Tiger with a front turret penetration from about 100m on the first shot. I had just poked the nose of my 76mm Sherman up over a crest, and there it was right in front of me. The Tiger's first shot miraculously missed -- it never got another smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dirkd1976:

5 Shermans and a crapload of infantry were all dead thanks to the well buit Panther!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must have had your Panther's evil--or rather, unlucky--twin! In my first PBEM game of VoT, my Germans were on the ropes but I was hoping the Panther could turn things around--if I didn't use it as aggressively as usual (i.e., charge down the road and duke it out with the massed Shermans). Instead I tried to play it smart, hunting forward over the hillcrest to draw first blood --killing a Sherman 75--and

then reversing to put myself out of LOS. I circled around the hill to the right and emerged in hull down position ready to engage the Shermans one at a time as they entered Plomville. The sweetest part was that the first victim into my sights happened to be the Sherman 76, and he was so busy whacking my infantry in the village that he didn't even see me start to target him.

Mr. Murphy intervened when at that point, when 58 seconds into the turn a US MMG 436m away shifted fire from the retreating infantry it had been harassing and put a burst across the Panther's exposed turret. You've guessed it-- at a range of a quarter mile, this single 5-6 round burst killed the Panther's commander. The survivors buttoned

up and went into shock, which of course carried over into the next turn. While the crew is busy wrestling the commander's body down and onto the floor, the Sherman 76 spots the Panther and hits it twice while the crew is still paralyzed by shock. Both rounds cause spalling but no serious damage. My crew finally comes out of shock and re-targets the Sherman, only to have the main gun damaged some two seconds later! Since they were in a hull down position, it took 4 more hits the next turn for the Sherman to finally put this star-crossed Panther out of its misery.

So I'm glad to hear that someone got my Panther's quota of good luck as well as their own!