Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Can Autosurrender be disabled?

Can the Auto-surrender function be disabled by a scenario designer?

I ask because I recently played vs. AI a not-too-hot scenario (which I won't name)in which I, as Allies, had a preponderance of power. The fighting was fierce & uncertain for a while, but by about move 18 of 25, I had wiped out all visible Axis forces. I looked around for an auto-surrender, but the AI played on. I wondered if late reinforcments were on the way, or if enemy troops were stashed in some hiding place on the small board, and kept hitting "Go" while I lined up to kill the possible replacments.

But nothing showed up and after hitting "GO" about eight times, I found at game's end that the Axis morale was at zero.

Could this be a deliberate decision on the part of the scenario designer? If so, it's really not a good idea, and I would advise against it with all scenario designers, since it's really boring to play against a non-existant opponent. As usual, BTS knew what they were doing in implementing that function.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cameroon:

Maybe there has to be at least one enemy left to surrender and there were none?

I offer this as a suggestion because I'm almost 100% sure that there's no way to turn off auto-surrender.<hr></blockquote>

Well, there was one partially suppressed squad left alive for three or four turns that I killed off. It's possible that one squad would have kept them over 15% morale, but it doesn't seem big enough to do so, since the total German force had several platoons, plus armor, arty, on-board guns, etc.

It is weird. I've never seen morale all the way at zero before. There were no reinforcements--but, aha! It's possible they could arrive on a percentage basis and never appeared?

Yes, that's it. I checked the scenario units and there was a PzIV that could arrive from about move 17 on a 10% basis and a rocket FO that had a 5% chance of arriving from move 18. Neither ever arrived.

This seems like a design flaw to me in the scenario. First of all, the German forces need some help, so why not send the units in with some certainty of their arrival. Second, such low arrival chances so late in a 25 move scenario almost guarantee such non-surrender results as I experienced. I actually favor 100% arrival chances in most situations--that's what WBW seems to do: calculate the precise moment for the reinforcements to arrive, then have them appear on that turn without fail.

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]</p>