Benicourt and Others

I do hope you gentlemen will give "Bridgehead at Benicourt" a try. It is the latest scenario I have published and it can be downloaded from our own Raider website and Boots N' Tracks.

There are three others for your enjoyment too. The Combat Mission WB Raider teams tests these quite thoroughly before we send them out to you.

The team includes some names you know well, including Dan "Kwazydog" Olding, Brian Rock Tim "Rune" Orosz (all of these gentlemen were on the original CM beta test team), Kevin "Kinch" Kerschef (who also sets up our web page), Tom Hagman, Joe "Carentan" Newell and our newest member, Ted Quincy.

We do our best to give you some top-notch battles. I hope you have fun with them.

http://wbr.thegamers.net

(Then click on Boots N' Tracks in the menu to the left of the title)

Come to see us!

As always, feedback is appreciated by the designers. You guys are pretty good testers yourselves biggrin.gif

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi WBW,

I have just started a blind PBEM game on B @ Benicourt and it has started off great. I am Allies and scenario appears to be a winner - varied units and full of surprises.

I can't wait to progress further and see what happens. I have made a good start i believe....but i know a lot more will be in store for me in the coming turns.

Great job,

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Guest Germanboy

WBW, the version I am playing has Meeting Engagement in the US briefing. That is totally wrong, since it is an attack. This false information threw my game plan, and if I were not playing Aaron, another player might denounce me on the board for gamey tactics because of the way some things worked out.

If this was done for FOW, I seriously recommend you change it anyway and look for another way to achieve FOW. I am quite unhappy about that.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-21-2000).]

Well, as much as I respect your opinion, Germanboy, I'll have to disagree with you here.

The scenario begins with neither side in control of the victory flags. True, the Germans can take control of them first, since they are nearer, but they are not set up in defensive positions nor do they have adequate time to set up strong defenses.

A big portion of the units involved in the action from both sides come in as reinforcements and battle back and forth over the victory flags.

Thus it really is a sort of melee type situation, with some German infantry moving into a position to stop the American advance while reinforcements for both sides are constantly coming in to change the flow of the battle.

It really does not fit any particular description. But in my mind if fits more of a meeting engagement than an assault defend type scenario.

I would still call it a melee on the battlefield.

Quite a number have played it and enjoyed it with no negative comments as to how it was set up. I'm sorry if you were disappointed.

But I still can't bring myself to call it an attack-defend scenario.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

But I still can't bring myself to call it an attack-defend scenario.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spoiler for Benicourt to follow:

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

Well Wild Bill, than call it a melee. Call it what you will, but do not call it a meeting engagement, b/c in CM terms in an ME I do not encounter troops and pillboxes in defensive positions half-way down the map.

I sent down my armoured recon assets to secure the bridges and if necessary stall the enemy advance in an aggressive recon move. They ended up driving right through Aaron's MLR, revealing all his defensive set-up before they were knocked out. In effect terribly gamey and not really adding to his or my fun with the scenario. To atone for this I sent two Shermans down the road to get killed in said ambush positions. I totally agree with you about FOW, but I totally disagree about achieving it by misleading the player about the type of engagement they are going to play. You have to put in a health warning, or at least say that ME does not refer to the CM definition of ME. As lead scenario designer for CMBO I expect nothing less of you. This usage of the term meeting engagement was seriously misleading. Spoiled my game to quite a degree, as you can see from this post.

------------------

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-22-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

I can respect that, Germanboy. I appreciate your candor and I understand your frustration. Sorry is the information was misleading.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wild Bill, thanks for the reply - I am sure those players who are interested in historically 'accurate' play like me will be grateful for a change.

Have a good Holiday.

------------------

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-22-2000).]

Guest captain,ro

WB im playing this senario pbem useing both sides. the problem i have is that in my american game, i have yet to receive CAS. while in my german game im getting pounded by CAS.altho i have yet to be hurt by the CAS i would like it to show up now <G>

ok thanks for the senario

ro