Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Riders Sneaking to Rear?

Dar

Didn't see this in a search...

I'm having this problem, and wondering if anyone else is.

Here are my repro steps:

1.) Put platoon on tanks as riders.

2.) Send tanks forward into extreme/long range of enemy small arms.

3.) Give riders orders to disembark at end of tanks' movement orders (e.g. "Fast" move into cover nearest the tanks' destination)

The problem is, once the tanks come under small arms fire from a distance, the units get an order to "Sneak" to cover inserted before the original order to disembark. The units do not disembark, and they maintain their "Fast" move orders to the original destination. They just stay on the tanks but now this order to "Sneak" to the nearest cover at that moment is inserted into their orders.

The result is that the tanks reach the end of their move, the troops disembark, but instead of Fast moving to the nearest cover as ordered, they begin "Sneaking" 500 yards to the rear! And, once there, they are then supposed to turn around and Fast move back 500+ yards in the direction they came from!

I do not understand why the Sneak order gets inserted there? If the incoming fire is severe enough to bother them, then it seems they should abandon the tanks and seek cover immediately. Staying on the tank and attempting to sneak to the rear before resuming my original movement orders seems quite odd.

Net result, I have to cancel all orders and re-issue "Fast" orders to get them off the tanks and in cover. Nothing major, but annoying and, at least to me, a bit illogical.

Ive ran into this problem last night...sorry I dont have an answer (Im a card carrying member of the n00b fraternal order) but Ive found unit control to be a bit maddening in most circumstances when they come under fire.

Last night I had my HQ sneaking to the base of a hill to exert greater control on rifle platoons situated above on the crest. Well he took it apon himself to bolt head long up the hill a pull a 'Mad Ivan' single man rush on an entrenched HMG position below the hill. I could only watch in horror along with the rest of his platoon as he was promptly cut to ribbons.

Ah, no matter. I would of had him shot for disobeying orders if he had survived anyway.

Actually, that's kind of cool! I like that fanaticism is getting added in there--makes things a little less predictable!

My (minor) beef with my initial post is, if the riders feel the need to get off to avoid incoming small arms, they should just bolt immediately. Or my original orders should be rescinded entirely. Inserting the "Sneak" order at the top of their queue seems odd.

Oh, well, still a great game, and definitely looking like a huge improvement on CMBO, which was already the World's Best Damn Wargame!

Been trying to test this but I haven't been able to replicate it yet. Normally my passengers seem to jump off when it gets too hot. Can someone email me a save game which shows the Sneak waypoint being inserted in please? Do you actually SEE the sneak waypoint getting added or are you just referring to how they behave once they disembark?

Be sure and include a recap of this issue in the email as well.

Thanks!

Madmatt

[ October 31, 2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Madmatt:

I'll try to reproduce it as best I can and send in a save.

If I can better describe what I'm trying to do, I'm routing a platoon of tanks with a platoon of passengers on board from point A to B to C. I order the riders to get off at point C and head for cover.

As the tanks reach point B they receive small arms fire (I think this is where the Sneak order gets inserted into the riders' order queues, commanding them to Sneak to cover near point B).

The tanks continue on to point C, where the riders get off and proceed to sneak back to point B as ordered.

Anyway, I'll try to repro it and send it in if I do. I'm sure there are more important issues to look into than this, but I appreciate your concern!