WBW - Where's "The Second Job"?

I remember you posting about it at the beginning of the week and it sounded very intriguing and perfect for a double blind PBEM game. Are you still testing it or did you drop it? Keep up the great work.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest WildBill

Hey Juardis!

Good man! Drop it. No way! You know I would not do that to you. Did you get Relieving the Rangers yet? Any thoughts? That one should be a good PBEM battle too.

Its up on CMHQ Scenario Depot site now.

Second Job goes up today. Since there are no real spoilers in the text file, I'll attach it here.

And thanks for the encouragement, Jeff!

It will be at CMHQ before the sun goes down (depending on where you are,of course biggrin.gif )

--------------

Title: A Second Job

Type: Meeting Engagement

Date: November 7th, 1944

Weather: Overcast

Terrain: Damp

Turns: 30

Scenario Description:

This is a meeting engagement between two nearly equal forces of American engineers and German troops in a closed in urban environment. For more particulars, read carefully the information provided for whichever side you choose to play.

Historical Background:

The Sitrep:

Combat Engineers are just that. They are builders and they are fighters. During World War II they soon earned a reputation of great respect by their enemies. Their courage under fire caused a German commander to call a group of these warriors, "Those damned engineers." the troops of the 146th Engineer Battalion were no exception.

The trail through the Kall Gorge and the roadways leading in and out of Schmidt had been a top priority of US engineers for days. Wearing hip boots and working in the worst of conditions, they were getting the job done.

When GIs under incessant enemy artillery pounding broke and retreated to the outskirts of Vossenack, German units of the 156th Panzer Grenadier Regiment, with a few pieces of armor on loan from the 116th Panzer Division, were quick to take advantage of the situation. By late on the 6th, they had reoccupied half of the town.

Faced with a crisis, General Gerow ordered in the engineers of the 146th to retake the ground lost. Weary and cold, many still wearing their hip boots, the men filtered into the west side of the town and prepared for the coming attack.

The Battle:

During the night, both sides planned their moves for the next morning. The engineers got the jump on the Germans with the first artillery strike early on the 7th, and followed it up with a hard charge into the German held area of the town. The result was some tough close-in fighting that finally put the Germans on the run.

By early evening, the 156th PzG Regiment had suffered over 150 casualties and Vossenack was back in American hands.

During the rush to retake the town, PFC Henry Kalinowsky was moving across an open field to get more ammunition for his Garand rifle when five German soldiers opened up him from a nearby house.

Charging madly and waving his rifle, he leaped through an open window in the house. Brandishing his empty M-1 threateningly, he took all five Germans prisoner. For his action, he would receive the DSC.

Sources:

US Army in World War II, The Siegfried Line

US Army in World War II, Special Studies

A Dark, Bloody Ground, Miller

------------------

Wild Bill Wilder

Wild Bill's Raiders

Director of Scenario Design, The Gamers Net http://wbr.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by WildBill (edited 07-29-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WildBill:

Did you get Relieving the Rangers yet? Any thoughts? That one should be a good PBEM battle too.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That scenario briefing sounds sweet. Can't wait to download it. With regards to the above quote, the answer is no. Thanks for the tip though. Havermeyer and I are playing a QB and are also on turn 8 of Midnight Madness at Prum - will rate that one on the CMHQ Scenario Depot when I finish. So far it gets 5 stars from me.

------------------

Jeff Abbott