Questions for a Dieppe Vet?

Heya,

Little did I know that the guy who lives in my basement went to a reunion of some sort for the South Saskatchewan Reg this last weekend. He went primarily so he could talk with some Dieppe vets. From that meeting he has a name of another fellow who he will interview/visit ( sometime in the next couple of days ). Since I'm worse than "grog-lite", I thought I would open a thread to compile a list of questions that real grogs might have.

I figure that I'll pass my tenant the list and if the conversation goes well, that he will try to get some questions answered. Depending on the timing, I might also tag along.

No guarantees that any of this will work out, but it's always good to go prepared, etc...

-R

I wonder if he was at the SSR reunion in Weyburn last year? I may have talked to the same vet; three of us attended the reunion and talked to some of the old guys.

Anyone talking to a vet is advised to do some research beforehand - find out basic stuff like when the regiment went overseas, when they went into action, what battles they fought in, etc.

If you want the vet to warm to you, start out with the small stuff. Ask him how old he was when he joined, and what his mother thought of his enlisting.

Ask him how many girlfriends he had when he was in England.

Ask him when he got home, how long he has been married to his wife, and show interest when he talks about his house or his garden today. Vets tend to be very proud of what they have done since the war, also.