Help needed with vehicles

Pain

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Samhain:

If it's just bogged, try stopping existing movement orders, then rotate and reverse. That will often--but definitely not always--free the vehicle.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, IIRC the official answer is that it does not matter what you do when it gets bogged. The crew will try to get it out anyway. Nothing to do with reversing etc., since the time it takes to unbog it is actually simulating guys getting out and using shovels and whatnot. I think either Charles or Madmatt stated that a while back, but don't ask me where.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Germans - they come here, they shag our anteaters. (Angus Deaton)

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-20-2000).]

Also if you're either wise (or paranoid, I'm not sure which), plan your AFV routes in bad terrain/weather conditions so that if the vehicle gets immobilized, you'll still be able to use it effectively. On Chance Encounter, one of my StuG's got immobilized in a horseshoe-shaped depression, so that it's LOS was literally only a meter in front of it. One of those situations where you don't know whether to laugh or cry smile.gif

------------------

Hope you got your things together,

Hope you are quite prepared to die. --CCR

Hmmm, I've had luck with just deleting all movement commands and waiting.

During the following turn, there is usually a grinding noise, and the vehicle has lost its "bogged" status. While this practice occasionally immobilizes the vehicle, I think it's more successful than trying to move it out.

I had this situation:

My Jagdtiger gets bogged in in snow. Then the status was "bogged". After several rounds the tanks didn't move and wasn't hit, but then the status was "immobile".

Does that mean, the crew did not success in freeing the tank?

------------------

War is in my heart

Death is by my side!

Being bogged down is one situation, being immobilized is another. I have seen tanks that were bogged down eventually work their way free.

Being bogged down means the tank could move but it's stuck. In the case of immobilization, it's pretty much a lost cause. When a tank does bog down or become immobilized, check it each turn to see if it can move again. I have been plesantly surprised more than once.

In the case of Fear in the Fog, one of my Shermans bogged down. Three turns later, it was free to move. So it can happen.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Well, I've played with this a bit, and frankly, it doesn't seem to matter what you do when a vehicle gets "bogged in". I tried a) leaving the existing orders B) deleting all orders and c) ordering a reverse move. I don't really have enough tests to be accurate, but it appears not to matter what course you choose. My guess is that every turn that the vehicle is "bogged in" there is some chance that the crew will unstick it and some chance that it will get totally stuck (immobilized). Otherwise it stays in the "bogged" state.

I've taken to either erasing the orders or giving a simple move order toward more stable ground, but these actions are mostly as a reminder that this unit needs some attention to see if it gets out or not. I've found that leaving the original orders can get you in trouble as the unit may execute them at a time you are not expecting.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

Being bogged down is one situation, being immobilized is another. I have seen tanks that were bogged down eventually work their way free.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THere is a thread in the main CM baord that has statistics on this very issue - mostly chances of bogging under certian condition, but also chance of getting free if you do bog. Seems the bottom line is go everywhere backwards!!