Transition to turn based

I'm an absolute beginner to this type of game, but it sounds so amazing ( I've read lots of web reviews ) and PC gamer (UK) who just rated it 89% and said its the best out there, that I feel I must take the plunge.

I'm a big fan of Close Combat although I recognise its problems. I've read constantly about military history all my life and if what I've read is true Combat Mission is going to be the best way of 'living' it. Thing is will I be able to make this transition or will I just be blown away by the complexity (I've never played a turn based wargame in my life) Thanks.

Welcome!

Have you tried the demo? There's a couple of medium-sized scenarios with the demo that should give you a feel as to the complexity. I found that it didn't take too long to get very comfortable with the interface...it's mostly very intuitive.

Warning: If you start playing the game, it may be difficult to stop...

You won't have any trouble. Combat Mission is in fact not all that complex compared to Close Combat. Many of the same thinking applies and, actually, you get all the time in the world to think over your actions. The only odd thing from an RTS player's standpoint is that you can't stop the action and issue corrections to your commands, once you issue the commands, you sit back and watch the fun happen over a 60 second period. If you look at it that way, CM is simpler to play than CC and more realistic. In CC you are assumed to be am ominiscient god who can direct telepathically everyone on the field. In CM, it's more akin to everyone having radios and you watching from a mountaintop with your binocs.

------------------

----

To download my scenarios: go to

http://www3.telus.net/pop_n_fresh/combatmiss/index.htm