Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Sample Tester's Report?

Guest Seimerst

Guest Seimerst

For Wild Bill and all you other scenario designers:

There are a lot of new testers willing to help you attain your goals for each of your designs. I, for one, would find a sample of a test report useful-- or an outline of all the aspects you would like comments on to serve as guide to ensure we testers cover all the elements. Thanks.

Guest rune

I'll handle this one. I have tested all the scenarios int he game, and am still testing like mad. NOTE DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU WANT A SCENARIO SPOILED. Here is the format I use. I put down how the battle went, this is not turn by turn, but parts that I think are important. I then put down SUGGESTIONS. Remember, you are a tester, not the designer. What you think of a battle and what the designer intended can be two different things. Example, you may want more tanks to balance, whereas the designer wanted a desperate out-numbered last stand. Note, I put in how to balance along with the statement IF points aren't addded in the game. I then put in the good points into another section that I really liked about the game. If your suggestions are not taken [Wittman wasn't added in this game for example], do not feel you are ignored, there might be a good reason it wasn't done. Bottom line, be friendly, be helpful, be respectful, and have a good time. Don't be afraid to make suggestions, as the designers are looking for another opinion. Just be honest and respectful as it is their baby....

Here is the latest one I sent to Wild Bill:

=Spoiler

=Spoiler

=Spoiler

=Spoiler

=Spoiler

=Spoiler

=Spoiler

=Spoiler

=Spoiler

Wild Bill,

Played the scneario and LOST to the Poles. Definitely out-numbered, but

put up a fight until I lost my bunkers. After that, it went

downhill...but

I got my first tanks and caused some damage until the fireflys started

taking me out. Got more reinforcements and took out more, but then lost

them in a crossfire. The last reinforcements came in and got hit by the

airplane in the first turn they were there. lost some men but tanks

survived, so I had them advance and after taking out a bunch of hts, lost

one to a front shot from a firefly. the second advanced and took out a

sexton and some other hts but also loses out to a firefly. after that it

was all over as the poles took the hills where my infantry was. I wound

up

a tactical allied win.

Suggestions: 1. Name one of the tiger crews wittman. See if we can get

him

to survive. 2. I think the germans should have another at gun or two.

until the reinforcements get there, just the pillboxes aren't enough to

keep

the poles back a little. 3. Some more infantry with one of the other

german

tank reinforcements..them fireflys are deadly beasts. 4. Another tiger?

Good points: Cool to see the battle where wittman gets it. Tough fight,

hard as the germans. Will be a great two player game once forces are a

little more balanced, or do you have points for the germans? the fireflys

are deadly...

Guest Madmatt

When I was still a fledgling cub tester Wild Bill took me under his aged but proud wing and helped to show me the ropes of scenario testing and design. In recent months my special commitments to other facets of CM as well as CMHQ and the empire it has become have left me little time to help test scenarios anymore.

One thing that Bill sent me was a Scenario Testing/Report Template. It was a well laid out and formated worksheet which helped to organize comments and concerns in a logical and methodical manner. Perhaps Bill will allow me to post this report sheet on CMHQ so new "would be" testers could utilize this very useful tool.

Bill? You reading this? Wakeup grandpa!!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 07-06-2000).]

Hello folks, in particular Wild Bill.

Have been reading comments alot recently and has persuaded me to buy the game. Previously, was a board gamer using Firefly 1/300 rules.

Once I get the game and experiment a bit (placed the order today!) I would love to play-test some of your battles. That goes for anyone else too. I have a few research materials and historical accounts if you need advice/back-up.

Can't wait to get started. Have played the demo more times that I can count, experimenting with different tactics. Best so far is 25 casualties (8 KIA) for 95 points and total allied victory. Anyone beat that?

Anyway people, lead on.

Who is doing all that hollering mad.gif? ..oh, Mad Matt! Shoulda known wink.gif

Post 'em Mad Matt. By all means. They are handy tools and should (or something similar) by all testers.

Seimerst, did I not send those files to you? I thought I did. If not, I will. Sorry. confused.gif

Stevetherat...Like that name!

You're on. I could definitely use your help. I'll be writing you later today.

Rune, your analysis sample here is just another evidence of what a fine job of testing you do. You are always at the top of my list, my friend.

Madmatt is an excellent tester, a quick and ready learner, and soon outdoes his teacher (seen his "dam" map? - pun intended) but his many commitments and autograph signings

just take up too much time biggrin.gif

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com