Groesbeek Campaign *** SPOILER ***!!!!!!!

I'm just in the middle of the "Groesbeek" Campaign by Eric Tilley. This is a very good campaign ("Destroy" type), as it was built to keep the tension high.

But, Hauptmann Kinkel (3. Sicherungskompanie), as Commanding Officer of this front, can tell it better...

17. September 1944, 14:00

My company had the task of securing the Nimwegen-Arnheim road. The Dutch underground was quite active in the last few weeks, and we are here to keep this important (and only) main road in this area free for traffic.

Things do not look this good for us; we've seen column after column of beaten units pouring back into the Reich.

If the Tommies and Amis keep up this speed, the war will be over on christmas.

Suddenly Lt. Rannenberg came into the "Company HQ", the former Post Office of this little hamlet.

"Herr Hauptmann! Paratroopers have landed! Americans,...we're surrounded!"

Rannenberg was quite young for an officer, and he was assigned to my company only one month ago.

His greatest fear was "to die, one day before the war ends".

Unteroffizier Enders, commander of a HETZER tank destroyer, turned around.

"What happened Herr Leutnant?"

"A mass landing! Must be a whole division, two or 3 kilometers sw of here! They are coming! Division confirmed even more drops around Arnheim and Zon! I was at the radio, when the message came in!".

"Leutnant; spread out the company in the houses near the road, Unteroffizier, board your tank...looks as if we have to keep them at bay..."

I only had some 120 men, most of them green troops, a HETZER, a Pz IV tank destroyer and some Flak and Infantry Guns.

I grabbed my MP40 and ran to the radio post.

"Mueller, I need a connection with Regiment HQ or, better, Division HQ..."

Five minutes later I talked to Oberst Rebmann from Div HQ, while outside the HETZER started its engine and moved into a covered position, 200 m away from the raised road.

"Herr Oberst, we have confirmed enemy landings here, at least one regiment..."

"Yes, I know this Herr Hauptmann. We have landings at every major road section and around important bridges. What a mess."

"Herr Oberst, we need reinforcements, I only have an understrength Sicherungskompanie here, and this paratroops are the elite of the allies."

"Calm down, Herr Hauptmann Kinkel! How comes, that all our officers are crying for reinforcements? HQ assigned a HETZER and even a Pz IV to your troops, not one week ago! What do you think we will send; a Panzer Division?!"

"I'm sorry Herr Oberst, I..."

"Enough! Listen; your task is to keep and retain control of the Groesbeek Heights, that overlook the main highway to Nimwegen, until you are relieved by forces of the 10 SS-Pz Div! And do not ask me, when they will be there!"

I heard small arms fire, and it sounded quite near...

"Herr Oberst, we will hold until relieved...they are here...over".

I ran back to the company hq.

"Situation, Obergefreiter!"

"American paratroops are coming from the west, they already crossed the road Herr Hauptmann".

I heard the sound of MG42 and 98k carbines, then the HETZER opened up fire...

We ran on the streets, always covered by buildings we moved to the outskirts, where our squads in the houses were engaged with american troops on the raised road.

Hell! They moved fast, even under the withering fire of a whole platoon they approached our position! How could I stop elite forces with these men? Brave they are, but unexperienced and short of ammo...

"They are going for the ridge!", Lt. Rannenberg shouted.

I ordered the Kuebelwagen to the house, as a loud sound made me look...the HETZER was immobilized; some Anti-Tank team destroyed its tracks.

"Incoming! Take cover!

Two seconds later, mortar rounds exploded all over our positions and silenced our right flank MG nest.

Another squad retreats from the front houses to the rear, and their NCO was nowhere to see.

"Stop! Keep your postions! Keep your positions!"

The young private, maybe 17 or 18 years old, looked at me; I will never forget the look in his eyes...how could we win this war with kids!

But they rallied and moved back to fight the Amis.

Meanwhile the Pz IV 70 joined in and fired round after round of HE into the advancing paratroopers.

I entered the Kuebelwagen and drove to the righ flank, only held by another kid platoon led by Lt. Uldall.

It looks as if an american platoon, supported by numerous MGs, assaulted here.

I left the Kuebelwagen outside the fire lanes and crawled to the foxhole, where Lt. Uldall just inserted another magazine into his MP 40.

"Situation, Lt.", I asked him.

"Herr Hauptmann, enemy soldiers tried to advance, but we hold them at bay!", he said proudly.

Before I could answer, a bullet hit him in the head and he dropped down, his MP 40 still in his hands...

I took cover and asked myself; ...will this never end?

After assigning an NCO as the new platoon leader, I drove back...the american paratroopers were advancing all along the front...and I have nothing to counter them...the last message was, that my Flak gun was silenced by enemy mortar fire.

(from notes found on a dead body, October 1944, near the city of Aachen).

I can recommmend this operation, it is tough, tense, and a lot of fun!

Fred

[This message has been edited by Fred (edited 03-25-2001).]