Start Up Failure

The CMBB activates, then goes to a black screen, followed by a blue window with Directx test options of Accept or Skip to Next.

Accept results in CMBB mode quitting and going back to the desktop.

Skip to Next returns a Program Error message "Could not initialize direct3d Graphics"

I have an Intell III 5OO MgHtz board and

an ATI Rage IIc AGP vidio card.

I downloaded and installed Directx 8.1 Same result with the Demo. Need driver update? More Advanced Vidio Card?

There have ben other people on the forum with ATI vid cards with similialr probs. On page 2 of the forum there is a post that may help. But if you have'nt done this already, make sure you have updated drivers and directx 8.1 installed on your machine, you can go to windows updates to get it,(look in you start panel, or programs you should see a "windows Updates" tab. Updating the drivers has solved most peoples problems. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah forgot this part, you need to go to your Dirctex file and check to make sure you have certian things enable. Here are the steps;

1.Right click on start tab

2.go to explore, then program files

3 find directx folder and click on it

4 then click on Dxdiag shortcut

Ok, once you do that you should have a DirectX Diagnostic tool window pop up, next steps

1.Click display tab, you will see some tabs under DirectX Features.

2.make sure they are all enabled.

3. then run tests

While you are here you might want to go ahead and check the other tabs, sound, music, etc. and make sure your sound is at full accelaration and such.

Still can not find the key to this problem. A clue may be that the Directx trouble shooter display window indicates that the three accellerator catigories are NOT AVAILABLE. That is to say Direct Draw, 3d, and textue.I wonder what is with that situation. The Directx test of Direct Draw works fine.

Directx says a simular problem to mine can be caused by entering a generic entry for monitor type, but all that I can find is specific to mine.

I have upgraded the driver set for the video card.

I hope I did it right.

Well that is the answer to why you get a 3d intializing eorror. Maybe you need to uninstall your drivers and reinstall with the most up to date ones. If that does'nt cure the problem check and see if your vid card supports directdraw, 3d, and texture acceleration. I have'nt gone and checked on the model of card you have. If it is a older one it may not support the game.

If you need a card that will support it. I have a new in the box Gigabyte TNT2 32meg AGP (nividia chipset) card that will support it on the shelve. I will let it go for $25+S/H. If you want to know more about the card go to www.giga-byte.com to see it's specs. It's not the most up to date card, but it handles all the games out there that I know of except battlefield 1942.

Tracer, thank you. I see you all over this place being helpful. I am not sure about just what I want to do. I'll try to do an uninstall-reinstall like you suggested. Then I don't know whether I'll go for a deal like you mentioned or for a new card. I have a hesitency on cards as I worry about some other games I play and whether they will still work.

But it is very comforting to have someone standing behind me like you have. I'll post on results.