Mac video problem

Srdftr

Greetings! Maybe someone can help me with a little problem. When I fire up CM, I get a letterbox version of the game screen. If I set the res to 640 x 480 before I start the game, it looks just fine. The res is normally at 1024 x 768. This started after we made a number of changes: upgraded to MacOS 9.1 from 8.6 and added a new mouse driver for an USB mouse using a PCI card. Not a biggie but I suspect it may be something simple to fix.

Thanks!

Srdftr

Thanks for the help Ben!

I'm running a G3 beige, with a MaxPowr 500 processor board. I haven't added in a video board so I gues I'm using whatever is native.

I tried the pref trashing, but that had no effect. It created a new pref file without going thru the set-up. Should I trash everything and re-install?

Thanks again!

Srdftr

Ahhh, G3 beige is what I have too, so I might actually be able to help you here :P

Do you know what revision you have? The early G3 beiges came with a Rage II+ card and 2 MB of VRAM, while the later ones came with Rage Pro cards and 6 MB of VRAM. An easy way to check is to use the Apple System Profiler (most likely it's in your Apple menu) to see how much VRAM you have (assuming you haven't added any extra).

I have an early beige G3, with only 2 MB of VRAM. CM will only run in software mode on this system, and software is normally restricted to 640x480. Though, with my set up I am able to play software in higer resolutions, I'm pretty sure that has to do with the fact that I have PC monitor attached via an adaptor.

Ben

Well, I have only 2MB of RAM so I guess I using the ancient model. It's odd, but before we did all the system changes the game would switch from the set resolution to the game resolution and back without a problem. Have to blame it on space aliens I guess...

Thanks for the help!

Srdftr

I agree that it's odd that it doesn't switch resolutions.

I'm not sure how CM deals with that though. I know a lot of games use draw sprocket calls to switch resolutions. I wonder if it's something to do with a more recent version of draw sprocket in 9.1 over 8.6?

I think I saw a post a little while ago about where to get older versions of the sprockets, but I'd have to dig. I don't know what version Charles is developing on. Which probably makes a difference (I know, for instance, that the older versions of sound sprocket work beter for CM then the newer ones).

Ben