Intro Music MOD

Another vote for the opening of the fourth movement of Bruckner's phenomenal 8th symphony as a piece of music to suit the mood. What a powerhouse of an opening that is.

I believe they also played his 7th on German radio when Hitler killed himself, btw. That's a desecration of Bruckner's music to associate it in any way with Hitler or the Nazi regime and its militarism, particularly given Bruckner's fervent traditionalist Catholic belief. (Putting it in a game would arguably be in bad taste too, given what the music meant to him and what he put into it.)

Actually, the subject of Nazi Germany, Hitler, and the classical music tradition is a whole huge discussion in its own right and the subject of numerous books and analyses--not to mention Decca's Entartete Musik series.

Anyway, anyone mention "Mars" from Holst's Planets suite? The passacaglia from Shostakovich's first violin concerto? Now there's some gloomy, ominous music. Another vote for Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky, too--the theme of the film also ties right in.

A little Conan the Barbarian goes quite nicely with CM
One of the best film soundtracks ever! Perfect choice here, too.

[ September 13, 2002, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Stacheldraht ]

Originally posted by Stacheldraht:

Another vote for the opening of the fourth movement of Bruckner's phenomenal 8th symphony as a piece of music to suit the mood. What a powerhouse of an opening that is.

Oh yeah. :D Also fantastic is about 5:30-6:00 into it and you get a Roman Trimuph just like in C.B. deMille's silent movie extravaganzas.

Originally posted by Stacheldraht:

I believe they also played his 7th on German radio when Hitler killed himself, btw. That's a desecration of Bruckner's music to associate it in any way with Hitler or the Nazi regime and its militarism, particularly given Bruckner's fervent traditionalist Catholic belief. (Putting it in a game would arguably be in bad taste too, given what the music meant to him and what he put into it.)

Well, I'm afraid the historical connotations can never be fully erased. No artist can control how their art is appropriated after the act of creation. I didn't mean to insinuate that Bruckner was a proto-Nazi or anything. He may have held some views that were chauvanistic even for his time and place, but of all the great composers he was the most humble and approachable. It would be a treat to have shared lunch or dinner with him in Vienna and given him some well-deserved and unqualified praise (even his supporters nagged him to make changes in his scores to make them more properly "Wagnerian") while wondering at his appetite for traditional Austrain cuisine. smile.gif

The 7th's use as funerary music in the Reich likely centers on the 2nd movement adiago which he began to sketch after recieving a premonition of Wagner's immiment death in Venice. Bruckner idolized Wagner, but did not copy-cat him (hence the attentions from his critical "friends").

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shosties4th:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ozzieboy:

1812, Ozzieboy, 1812! Ye gods...

Michael</font>

"After Me" - By Saliva

Heavy Metal + Heavy Metal = Bliss ;)

"Comrade Commasar, I request permission to turn my T-34/85 into a *ahem* 'Phat Ride'"

"No really Herr General, these new low riding Hydrolic equiped Opel transport trucks are really improving moral."