Pavlov's House

The story of Pavlov's House in Stalingrad has always intrigued me. I could never quite understand how this small group of soldiers could hold out against so many large scale assaults for so long.

So it was with great interest that I played the scenario in CMBB. I really enjoyed it, but I was left wondering that perhaps it was a bit too easy to for the Germans to capture the house.

I re-read some the accounts of the battle, and I noted how the original Pavlov's house was 4 stories high. Apparently, when ever the Germans turned up with tanks, the Russian soldiers would scatter to either the basement (to man the anti-tank rifles) or to the attic where they would man the machine guns. It is claimed that the german tanks could not elevate their guns enough to bother the soldies in the attic, who would then lay done fire on the advancing german troops. In addition, they had good support from mortar and artillary batteries, because the spotters in the attic had such a commanding view of the battlefield.

This level of reality difficult to simulate in CMBB, but I was interested to know other members thoughts on how best to assault this building.