Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMAK demo runs very slowly on fast-ish machine

cassh

Mentioned this in the CMAK forum.

Running a P4 2.6GHz 800 front side bus, 1024Mb 400Mhz dual channel DDR RAM, 128Mb nVidia GeForce FX5200.

It runs CMBB at lightning speed, but barely moves the CMAK demo. Mouse move responds five to ten seconds after input, and cycling through units using +/- keys takes an age.

As this is a reasonable quick and powerful rig I cannot think why it is dragging it feet so much unless it is some graphics support issue?

Is this just a problem with the demo and my setup or is this likely to occur in full CMAK when it arrives on my doorstep in the not to distant future?

I installed the demo last night and have yet to 'play' it as it is so frustratingly slow and unresponsive. Thought I was back on my old 233mmx system.

Can anyone help at all, or at least settle my doubts regarding whether the full game will also run like this.

Many thanks in advance,

Cass

[ November 21, 2003, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: cassh ]

There is nothing in the demo that should make it run slow at all, especially considering you say that CMBB runs so well. Check all the usual things first of course. Make sure nothing else is running in the background, instant messengers are turned off etc...

By the way, which video drivers and you running?

Madmatt

Matt,

Thanks for getting back. The only driver settings offered were for Direct X at different resolutions (1152x86, 1024x768 etc) at various refresh rates - I've tried all of them down to 640x480 at 75Mhz but it still runs like a slug. Now I know it is not lack of RAM (1Gig), processing speed (P4 2.6Ghz) or graphic card capability (128Mb). There is nothing else running in the background, as I have turned off most unnecessary services trying to find something that may be causing this slow down.

The only thing I can think of is a graphic card conflict or lack of support. The graphics card is not inherently weak and I can happily play all my other games on high resolutions/high graphic detail settings.

If you think of anything please let me know as I have already pre-ordered CMAK and am now dreading not being able to play it...oh the humanity!

Cheers

Cass

I think it's your video card driver. I had the same problem essentially the same machine. Download the newest drivers from nVidia and things will speed up enormously.

Either that, or go back to the v30-something drivers. The v44 (or whatever it was) caused huge problems with Combat Mission.

I had a problem upgrading my drivers to the newest version from v44. The DX8 direct3D mode wouldn't work. However, if I installed the v30-something version (go back) then installed the newest version (go forward), everything worked out fine.

Matt & Lesack,

Thanks for the help. I installed nVidias latest driver (God only knows why a brand new Dell would not have an up-to-date driver... :confused: ) and it is all peachy! Goes like a rocket, so one glum lad is now a very happy bunny looking forward to much desert whiz-bang action

[ November 26, 2003, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: cassh ]