Marksmen they are not........

Guest dirkd1976

Guest dirkd1976

Here's a little story of frustration and heartbreak........

So yesterday afternoon I decided to play Vot (as the Germans) for the 30th time (I still only have the demo).

I setup my 75mm concrete pillbox and 150mm infantry gun looking down the road into Fromville. I also had two panzerschrecks setup in ambush positions along the road. I get all setup and then I wait for the big fat juicy Shermans to come rolling down the road into certain death. As the first on rolls around the bend I fire on it with my 75. A miss. The Sherman fires back and knocks out my pillbox.

OK, I think I can deal with this. I let him com a little farther down the road and WAMMO!! I let loose with the 150. A miss. His turret slowly turns as I scream at them to reload, but to late, they get toasted by the first shot. Grrr, not only is it iritating that my Germans couldnt hit the broad side of a barn, but im also running low on anti tank weapons. As he comes closer to the town my Schrecks let go and both miss. One shot from his MG and my first schreck team is eliminated. The second one shot again and missed. Then he gets a 76mm hole put in him.

Arrrrggggg, I'm thinking, these stupid german bastards. So from this point on his six Shermans kill just about every German on the board. Turn 16 rolls around and I finally get my Panther. "Come get some" I'm thinking to myself. The Americans shell the hill with smoke so I sneak my tank down around the backside of the church, and manuver around to the Americans backs. I pop up over the hill to take my first shot at the Shermans back. Guess what? Thats right, a MISS mad.gif!! HIs turret turns all the way around and shoots and knocks out my Panther on his first shot.

By this time I think to myself, I really only have two options. Leave the game, eat some dinner come back and try it again later, or rip my computer off the desk and throw it out the god&*!% window smile.gif!!! Luckily I choose the former, and gave it another go later on. Once again I was beaten, but no as bad as that first game. Never in my whole life have I ever been so frustrated at ANYTHING biggrin.gif!!!!

I LOVE this game BTS!! Good jobs guys, never have I played a WWII game so immersive. Cant wait for my full version!! Happy gaming everyone, and may your troops have steadier aim then mine!! smile.gif

------------------

Never mistake motion for action - Ernest Hemingway

[This message has been edited by dirkd1976 (edited 07-13-2000).]

Guest ACTOR

Been there and done that! I can totally relate to your feelings about this game. When you get the full version, you will see that the frustration can become even greater.

This is a great game. biggrin.gif

Heh I do know the meaning of the word frustration...

When the CM gold demo came out, and Hotseat was finaly available (well I think anyway) i challenged my ding dong of a strategest friend to a friendly game of Chance encounter.. I decided I would play as the germans, and give him a +25% forces handicap so he would be able to have a fighting chance... Now I muist admit that sometimes, I play like a god, and other times like Private Pile... this time I was playing consewrvatively, knowing that in all the times I have played chance encounter, it is harder to keep an objective than take it... I also knew that with all those extra shermans of his, skill or not, if I didn't keep them at bay I would lose... So what happens you ask?

I knowing the terrain a bit better than my oponent, place my stugs in very nasty hull down spots, the spots that get shermans killed a lot when I play as Ami's.

So what happens you ask... One part dumb luck one part playing against a guy who has so little skil it somehow throws me off! His tanks come barreling down the road, and all turn sideways To move toward the objectives... So I'm thinking heh dead shermans smile.gif

My tanks hid just long enough, and began firing at will on the second turn after enemy armor contact... I knocked out two shermans, but was amazed when one got a lucky kill with it's first shot!

My other Stug bit the dust the next turn because all of it's rounds either missed or did no damage...

"Ok" I thought... no biggie just a little pride to swallow here... time to use infantry against tanks...

At this point he had two shermans fully functioning, and one (the + sherman I think) tank imobilized in mud.

My infantry at this point ahas seen so little action, I am still enjoying myself knowing most of his casualties are from arty and tank fire...

i manage to sneak a anti tank team and two rifle platoons around his foolishly unprotected right flank (near the small victory marker).

his sherman was right over the hill, and although was out of sight by any of my useful men, was still identified on my map (my guys hiding in the treeline did a good job of spying...)

So I gave my three units the sneak command to get right up against the side of the tank...

Just as they where about to see the pesky thing, one of his hiden units opened up and scattered my rifle squads... But they killed the hiding bugger...

I tried again this time with the antitank team all alone... being covered on it's flanks about 50-100ms away by the rifle squads... I'm thinking, ok pal, here is where you learn that tanks are nothing against infantry with balls the size of grapefruits...

My antitank team slowly (painfully so) begins to climb the small hill, and just as the turret would be visible to the team for some odd reason they suddenly break their orders and run for the small house near the church!. Aparently the antitank team figured the broken ami's in the house where the objective, and as they rushed in to take a pot shot at em, the tank noticed them and killed em firing squad style against the side of the house... I screamed i ranted and raved, I cried I hit my friend in the face with my mouse... the whole nine yards...

At this point I was mad, and just punished his cowering Ami infantry he had in the big wheat feild, I guess he somehow thought this was the best way to defend from arty fire?

he lost half of his men, and me all of my sanity before I surrendered, knowing I would win, but at a terrible cost due to a mix up in commands, and bad luck...

Heh the funny thing was when he saw how many units I was about to rush him with, his jaw dropped,

"I didn;t know you had so many men lefT!"

I laughed, but was still pissed about how that damn anti tank team raced towards the house at the last second ruining an otherwise perfect plan. Well no matter, this is how it is in war, but damn... anti tank teams down go hunting broken units!

So I know how it feels to look at a wierd moment in cm and think to yourself... how the f$&@!

Anyway have fun!