HELP ME!!! newbie here

Ok. I am relatively new to CM. To put it frankly...I SUCK! I've read that this game rewards you for using tactics you would actually consider in real life. And in some cases I agree, but in others im not so sure.

I've tried using what i consider to be sound tactics, but they always fall apart really fast. How do you to make contact with the enemy when they wipe you out as soon as you do? For example, I try to use the speed advantage that American tanks have in their turrets. I will have a few US tanks try to move fast and flank a german tank, taking advantage of its slow turret. Yet it always seems as if I lose a few tanks just trying to close the distance. Also, this may sound stupid but why are CM soldiers so quick to drop when fired at. I know that it's not exactly fun to get shot at but even when i order them to run from cover to cover, they don't seem to get very far. They seem to drop to the ground after a few yards, and they make no attempt to crawl towards their destination.

I know i sound like a stupid newbie but id appreciate some insight from more expirienced players. Ive never got a total victory, only tactical ones. In historic scenarios where one side is supposed to have an advantage, i play as that side and they lose. Please respond to this post or email me with some basic tactics that you feel could help me!

Guy,

Here's a start. When closing with tanks, you can't bull rush straight ahead without expecting to lose a few on the way. To combat this, try to use natural terrain obstacles, or smoke to ruin the enemy Line of Sight (LOS). But turret speed is a true way to use the American turret speed advantage.

When moving soldiers, you must know which of the movement types to use in certain situations. For example, Run causes them to move as quickly as possible, not utilizing the natural cover that is available. Crawl is a very slow and very stealthy way to move. When using the sneak command, your men will not fire until they are fired upon. This is sometimes a problem if they stunble upon a hidden SMG squad. Try to use the search tool to add to my brief discussion. Also read all the posts in the tips and techniques folder. You can also check the Wild Bills Raiders Sight, and the CMHQ sight, and read all their tactics articles.

Lastly,Practice.Practice.Practice. When you have finished that, Practice some more.

Hope this helps.

------------------

CrapGame

If there is one thing that newbies forget most often, it is the importance of cover fire. You will probably not cause a lot of casualties with long range MG fire on an enemy position, but it will keep their heads down long enough for you to get your infantry up into position.

There was a discussion earlier about how a single MG easily gets overrun by a platoon of infantry on move orders. The same discussion also noted that two MG's with overlapping fields of fire rapes the same platoon. This has to do with the fact that they cover one another when one or the other is suppressed.

HT and tanks, when used judiciously, can really put the clamps on defensive fire from a position you are trying to assault. Even if your fire doesn't actually cause the enemy to break and run, they won't be doing a lot of accurate firing either.

Try and build 'group's of fire. If you want to attack a town, don't just send a platoon up there, combine your arms. This starts before they even start moving.

Work out where you want to attack, make sure you have some heavy assets covering that area, (and hopefully no other part of the battlefield can see them, keeping them saffer). These assets can include MGs, mortats, infantry support type tanks, whatever.

That way, when you get close, should any enemy pop up you will keep their heads down!

Next, look at the units you're going to be moving with. I try and keep two platoons together. One to provide backup should the other get into trouble, the second can flank or just move up to provide extra support. As you probe hte enemy you will frequently find yourself coming up against just one platoon and not many, so 2:1 is good odds and keeps your casualties down.

Use your armor and support! I like to keep Halftracks and stuff close to moving units and assault groups. That way should anything pop up, you can keep its heads down with the HTs mg, (or big gun if you're german).

Keep your tanks in cover regularly. The best way to take out those german tanks is let them get distracted by something. The distraction can be either

1) Them shooting at some units of yours

2) them moving across your front

Then pop out on a hunt order, kill them, and then reverse. do a hunt and reverse.. that way if the tank spots something it will stop and kill it.. if it doesn't, it will reverse back into safety.

Work out where you're going to move too and make sure as much as your stuff as possible can blow the area up if any enemy appears..

and use smoke! smile.gif Especially arty smoke

PeterNZ

Read http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum7/HTML/000320.html , it's the post titled But how do you do it?, on this board. There were a couple of good sugestions for newbies there.

------------------

There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game