Dangerous Morters

In testing a scenario underway, I found that inevitably when some morters I had on one side of a river were boated across, they started shooting up themselves as soon as they could manage to set up their tubes. They managed to sink as many as 3 of the four boats, kill themselves and otherwise create a great deal of destruction and confusion. If I had attempted to target these weapons on the same territory, I would have recieved a out of range message, but the AI found no such difficulty. After I got off the floor and dryed the tears of laughter, I put an officer's area fire on the erring unit, which caused it to forget firing for a while as it humped its tube to safer places. Of course his own incoming did some of the same, but as the area of that was wider, it was more difficult to escape. There was some oscellation between firing and hiding in that case. This has proven repeatable and most difficult to control. Earlier another unit across a nearby river had rained destruction down on these guys, but that could have been explained as mistaken identity. Something about rivers ... Hummmmmmm.