Soviet Ski Troops Cannot 'Hide'?

Loathe as I am to report another potential problem, I have just tried a random QB. An Axis attack Jan 42 and an auto pick of Soviet Ski Troops for me to defend with.

When I placed them in various types of woods, I then tried to 'Hide' them before ending the setup. Not allowed.

Hmmm, why exactly? I can't find anything in the manual and logically it doesn't seem to make sense. Surely they have the intelligence to take their skis off when in a foxhole, rather than standing up in them for the world to see?

As I workaround I tried to Cover Arc the squads, but that fell flat as half of them were Conscripts! I gave up on the battle as I couldn't stop them firing at extreme range :confused:

Sneak them around a bit, so they'll stop using their skis. A bit of a work-around I know, but ski troops are not designed for a rigid defence (maybe something like the Raate road would be better ;) ). And since they were autopicked by the comp... work around it smile.gif

Hmmm... and btw. I can't really see why ski troops aren't allowed to hide with skis on. I did it when I was in the finnish army. Going prone with skis isn't hard (getting up is, but it can be done quite fast. I never forget those ski marches we made, those downhills and plummeting into the snow with a full backpack on *sigh* Man was it hard to get up. And yes, I'm a lousy skier). Using foxholes might prove a difficulty tho'.

[ November 12, 2002, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: SaTyR ]

:eek: What an awful workaround, but thanks for the suggestion SaTyR smile.gif

Looks like this needs fixing, because

A) You shouldn't have to spend the first move sneaking every one of your squads to and from their foxholes.

B) What if the computer had been given Ski troops to defend against me. It wouldn't be able to Hide them and the battle would be a walkover.

A) Yeah, there should be a more simple way to get off from skis. And/or/but (IMHO) ski troops should be able to hide. The workaround wasn't mine, somebody pointed it out some time ago in a similar thread.

B) That might have happened ;) . I just finished a small 700pts QB (allied attack, defended with the finns, ski troops). Wiped the floor with the attacking AI (which isn't hard at all and I had the terrain working for me). I used the skis to quickly move from my secondary lines to my main line after the enemy got a taste of 120mm mtr (139 inf cas. 3 BA's ;) ) barrage. Every squad got about 20 kills (my 82mm on-board mtr's got 3 BA's each ! Never thought of using them that way) and the enemy was completely routed in 20 turns. So a defence without hide or foxholes CAN be done ;) maybe not against a human opponent tho'.

LOL Bruno. Actually I genuinely hate it. I dread that someone who is thinking of buying the game drops on a few 'problem' threads (mine included) and is put off getting this superb product.

OTOH I want to help BFC in making their game as good as it can be, so I post anyway...

I'm currently holding off posting a new thread about the Random Weather routine, because one problem thread with my name on it at a time is enough smile.gif

Ski Troops (like ATR's) were added pretty late in the devolopment of CMBB and even then required a good deal of coding time to get them to their current state. Our intent in including them was to give an advantage to units ON THE MOVE in conditions were normal ground troops walking would be at a severe penalty.

As such, they can not hide until they take off their skis and this will most likely not change.

I am aware of what that means to units on the defense and I will see what can be done, if anything to address that.

Madmatt

[ November 18, 2002, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]