Hull down for pill boxes . . .

Don't know if this has been discussed (and I have not done any tests), but I experienced something cool, the other day.

SPOILERS

While playing Myers Wrath by WBW, I set up as the German defender on two hills, and awaited the poles.

On the right hill I placed my 88mm bunker on the top, in some woods. I figured on hiding it till the enemy was out in the open.

On the left hill, there weren't any real good spots to place my 75mm AT bunker. Until I noticed a little notch in the front side of the hill.

Into this notch I placed the 75mm AT bunker. During set-up I wiggled it round, and slid it about to make sure it got into a nice "hull-down" position. All the while, I checked out it's LOS to the approaching terrain.

While in this position, the ground immediately in front of it and out to about 250m was unobserbable. But I figured if the Poles got that close it was over anyways.

Turn one started and the Poles KO'd my 88 within 40 seconds. (He didn't even fire back, as he was still HIDING!) :(

My 75mm AT bunker survived to the end of the scenario and racked up an impressive tally. Somthing like 15 AFV's Tanks and halftracks. He came under fire quite a bit. But the shells seemed to always hit the little hill right in front of his position. Or whistle overhead.

I'm not sure if I just lucked out, or what. But there must have been 25 little shell holes in the ground around his position.

I guess it could be like a reverse slope defense, in infantry's case.

Anyhoo . . . thought I'd share. smile.gif

Gpig

I saw something similar happen with tanks. My Shermans just could not hit a PzIV that was positioned just back a bit from the top of a small change in elevation. The rounds consistently spudded in short or whistled of into the distance. That was at a range of 500-odd-metres.

In another similar incident (different scenario) my guys on the top of a small rise continually short short of another PzIV that was about 50m away and below them by a little bit. Eventually the PzIV knocked out my two or three Shermans that were up there waiting to die.

I just put it down to a minor flaw in the bracketing model.

Regards

JonS

I have used that before with armor and bunkers. You really want some good return though, I lined up like 15 AT Guns with some COY commanders to stabilize them on a reverse slope (clear terrain) and they survived 4-5 turns under direct tank fire (~10 tanks) and 81mm and 105mm artillery. They were spaced out well though so that minimized the impact of the artillery. Something like half the guns survived, while about 20% were actually knocked out, the remaining were abandoned. These were a mixture of regular and vet crews. BTW no tanks survived the encounter and they were Tigers and Panthers.