Treebases to my taste : problem...

Hi,

I've a problem finding a good treebase set for my non-winter games :

I definitely use Gunnergoz Fieldgrass with a light grid done by a friend, and also use Tanks a Lot (Ed Kinney) Trees, so much nicier than any other ! smile.gif Until I get those I used Gunnergoz treebases.

But now for treebases, nothing seems to go along well :

- Tanks a Lot bases are for my taste much too dense and bright, and don't go well with the grass

- Gunnergoz treebases are very clean, but too dark for Tanks'trees

- So I switched back to DD bases, but these are low res ! :(

What a dilemna ... Fortunately for winter games I have BoB and everything is great smile.gif

Ideas ? Suggestions ? I'll post screenshots later if you don't visualize what I'm saying ;)

[ April 11, 2002, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Pascal DI FOLCO ]

Thanks Pascal. Glad you like the trees. You should like version 2 more because I added undergrowth. It was hard to come up with treebases to go with them. When you say mine are too bright, are you talking about summer or fall? or both? I thought my summer bases were pretty dark. I made both of them dense so it would be easy to tell them apart from scattered trees. When I added some transparency to reduce the density, I didn't like the way they got lighter at higher elevations. Have you tried Juju's summer bases?

I agree. I've just recently looked all over myself and couldn't find anything light enough to use so am having to just make due. I realize that tree bases need to be darker then the scattered tree base but they are too dark. What would it look like if say tree bases were light brown and scattered bases be light green Surely that would eliminate the problem. Both could then be light since different colors. Just a thought.

Actually, since Tom's Bulge Mod I've rather taken to playing without treebases. The landscape looks much more natural (although the trees are a bit thin).

I've not tried it yet, but is there a way to play without treebases in non-winter circumstances ?

Tanks,thanks for your attention !! smile.gif

I critized vainly because I was not precise : I don't like the summer scattered tree bases ...

Look :

That's what I currently have with DD treebases (summer) :

dd_treebases.jpg

And with your bases :

tal_treebases.jpg

There's something odd about the overall aspect of the scattered trees patches ... perhaps is it the color of the bases, too near of those of the trees ? From close I also find strange the "density" of the texture, here from far it doesn't appear.

There's nothing with their brightness, I don't know why I told that ... I didn't have my CM game with me ... tongue.gif

Keep on the good work anyway, I love your mods and use them since your first buildings (that were so-so but sooo Hires :D ), you always keep improving ! smile.gif

[ April 11, 2002, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Pascal DI FOLCO ]

Tanks, if I could make a suggestion--I think the biggest downside to your mod is the bases; they have a very "grainy" design which, at least on my computer, gives off an annoying sparkle effect when I rotate the camera. Perhaps a more blended design similiar to DD's would make them look better :confused:

Tanks a Lot. I can't speak for anybody but me but that looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. It is perfect and I would sure like to have it if you wouldn't mind. I should have no problem seeing my troops in there and that is my main problem.

Originally posted by lcm1947:

Tanks a Lot. I can't speak for anybody but me but that looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. It is perfect and I would sure like to have it if you wouldn't mind. I should have no problem seeing my troops in there and that is my main problem.

These would replace the summer scattered trees. If you want to use them as summer treebases, I could convert them, but they might not look right. Let me know what you want and I could e-mail them to you.

Yeah, tree bases are a delicate balance between æsthetic appeal and being able to distinguish easily between types. I usually play with trees turned off (hate to do it, but I want to see what's out there), so it is important to me to be able to differentiate between the types in an instant. I forget whose set I use, but there is a problem in that the woods look too much like the tall pines when using only the bases. The scattered treees that Tanks included in his 5:26 post are very lovely and realistic, but I wonder how well they would show up against the grass. Like I say, it's a tricky problem.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Yeah, tree bases are a delicate balance between æsthetic appeal and being able to distinguish easily between types. I usually play with trees turned off (hate to do it, but I want to see what's out there), so it is important to me to be able to differentiate between the types in an instant. I forget whose set I use, but there is a problem in that the woods look too much like the tall pines when using only the bases. The scattered treees that Tanks included in his 5:26 post are very lovely and realistic, but I wonder how well they would show up against the grass. Like I say, it's a tricky problem.

Michael

Those scattered trees don't stand out from the grass I'm using very much, but that's the look I was going for. I don't know how they will look with all the different grass mods out there.

Yeah, Tanks a Lot I'd like to try them. So these would be the scattered trees so how about woods and tall bases? I'd take them as well if they look like your examples above where you lightened them up in the last two pictures you showed. I am assuming that these two pictures was the top one being scattered trees and the bottom one was woods? If both of those are scattered trees I'll still try them and just make do with the woods and tall bases I have. And thank you ever so much.

Hmm, Tanks, as Michael said it's important to clearly differentiate scattered trees from grass, so I don't think your last proposal will suit me ..

However, thinking of this some more, I have some suggestions :

Starting with the current bases you've done, that stand out correctly, I'd like to see them :

- lightened/desaturated to have a more subdued look

- With some additional little brown, black, yellow or red "spots" or very small patches to represent undergrowth and ground cover of flowers, pebbles, ...

- and some transparent patches to give a smoother transition - look at what did Gunnergoz in his bases.

What do you think ? I'm totally unable to do this myself, so need you to do it ! smile.gif