US Army: Classes of Logistics

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping that one of you US Army Grogs™, or similar, can help me out with a query on logistics. I'm currently looking at a bunch of material on Anzio / Op Shingle, and in the logistics planning stuff there are references to classes of logistics:

* Class I

* Class II

* Class III

* Class IV

* Class V

Most of my background is on CW forces, so these specifics elude me a bit. I'm fairly sure that Class III refers to POL, and Class V refers to ammunition (all natures), but what I'm after is a specific breakdown on what each class refers to.

Oh and while I'm at it; what, exactly, are "C" rations and "K" rations. I understand that both are combat-rations (canned food, chocolate, etc) that allow soldiers to operate without food resup for short periods (approx 24 hours per issue), but what is the differrence between them, and in what circumstances would "C" be used in preference to "K", or vice versa.

Thanks in advance

Regards

JonS

Here's what I can remember:

Class I - Subsistence (food & water)

Class II - Clothing, individual equipment, tools, admin suuplies

Class III - POL

Clas IV - Construction & barrier materials

Class V - Ammunition

Class VI - Personal demand items (soap, beer, candy)

Class VII - Major end items (trucks, tanks, etc.)

Class VIII - Medical supplies

Class IX - Repair parts

Class X - Materials for nonmilitary programs

Hope this helps.

USTanker

JonS,

AFAIK "C" rations were developed before the war and were small cans of meat and vegetables, 10 different kinds in all.

"K" rations were developed during the war for the airborne forces and seemed to have become ubiquitous. They were served as complete meals in a box marked breakfast,lunch or dinner. The box was often used to heat the meal, but both rations could be eaten hot or cold.

From reading accounts, "K" does seem to have become the most common for frontline troops by late '44. Forty says that frequently a mixture of rations were used when preparing hotmeals.

Originally posted by Viceroy:

... "K" rations ... The box was often used to heat the meal ...

Viceroy,

one of the snippets I found was the following:

PFC W.E. Woodrow, 135th Infantry, 34th Inf Div:

"...the 'K' ration ... The wax box will heat a cup of coffee nicely ..."

From "Lessons Learned in Combat, Nov 1942 - Sept 1944, 34th Inf Div." The other quotes seem to indicate that the "C" and "K" were indeed used interchangeably.

Thanks all for your replys so far.

JonS

[ July 17, 2002, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

C rations are moist. K rations often contained powdered food. I saw K rations that my Dad had brought back from WWII in Europe (this was around 20 years after the fact). They were in tolerably good shape.

He said that they hated K's. From what I know (questioning an Old Sergeant First Class who had three bronze stars on his jump wings [sicily, Normandy, Rhine River]) K's were universally loathed as unappetizing, hard to make edible, and generally not fit for human consumption. C's (this from personal experience) are fit to keep body and soul together, but the experience is not especially enjoyable without special preparation or condiments. C's cold are really awful, though some are better than others. The grease always congeals at one end. Guess which end usually gets opened on a cold day?

The Ham and Lima beans were my worst nightmare. The Lima beans were interspaced between the Ham slices. Which normally meant that you got 7 items in that can, 3 Ham slices and 4 Lima Beans. I kid you not, the beans were that big!