New Internet Game Development Begun

This is NOT Off-Topic.

I am currently working on creating a CMBB / CMBO internet campaign game. It will be entirely dynamic / database driven and can involve an unlimited number of players. It is an alternative to league style play. Here are some features.

</font>

• Chain of command
    </font>
  • Army Resource Allocation determines Battle Setups
    </font>
  • Dynamic Setup of Battles
    </font>
  • Unit Promotions & Demotions
    </font>
  • Operational Level Maps
    </font>
  • Numerous Unit Citations that affect unit composition
    </font>
  • Clans can develop their own Army with Divisions and Regiments
    </font>
  • Private Forums for each Army Group
    </font>
  • More features coming soon
    </font>

The reason I am posting this now is for really 2 reasons. 1) I am looking for some people interested in helping develop the rules for the system. 2) I want to know what features will make this something that many people will use.

Thanks!

Keith

[ August 31, 2002, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: medlinke ]

Thanks for the tip. I have looked through their rules. However, I'm not trying to tread on their domain. They are very good at what they do.

This has a few more roles (resource manager, tactician, and politician) which add some complexity. As does the fact that multiplayer communities suffer from astronomical player drop.

Basically, the help that's needed is in deciding the best way to:

1) Hand off units where the commander has quit the game

2) Handle resource management (ie. How much food makes an army more effective?)

etc.

Keith

Well, they did a lot of research in some things that aren't in the rules. I bet you will get some good advice from them. They also faced a lot of player's drops and settled systems to deal with it.

A good source for starting a game system as you want can be the rules for V4V games. Its are very well written and documented and take in account a lot of variables on resources, moral, disruption, etc. Maybe you can found some variables on those rules that helps you. Also, try with rules for boardgames, as they gives you the formulas and thinking behind it usualy.

Originally posted by argie:

Also, try with rules for boardgames, as they gives you the formulas and thinking behind it usualy.

Honestly, the majority of the "game" is really just how the system generates the QB setup. That's where the main bulk of the rules set in. It's a fancy wrapper for "clan" competition really. For instance, a "clan" would be an army. Therefore you could essentially see a development of community around it. Which I think has really helped in games like Counter-Strike where Clans form the backbone of innovative play styles and tactics. I'm hoping for the "game" to be a community building effort.

The depth and detail of other games is really just too much to handle well in this sort of setting as far as I see it.