A little too well hidden?

If they are not moving or firing, why should you see them?

Anyways, I use a little tactic that works pretty well for me. I usually move my platoons (usually 3 squads) in a line abreast formation as such(^=squad, *=section, #=HQ):

^ ^ ^

If moving into/through cover, I break the center squad into sections and place the light section infront of the line:

...*...

^ * ^

If the advance section triggers an ambush, it can fall back while the two flanking squads either pour on covering fire or move around the baddies' flank.

Also, I always keep the platoon HQ just far enough behind the line to keep all squads/sections in command:

...*...

^ * ^

...#...

Works pretty well for me.

[ November 15, 2002, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: akdavis ]

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I've noticed that FO's, Morter Teams, and other units that are given a token firepower for defense are completely unspotable until you stumble on their position.

I have set up vehicles in supposedly concealing terrain (brush, scattered trees) that were prep-artilleried by the AI opponent. The book says that vehicles setting up in such terrain s/b hidden until they fire (don't have book in front of me).

cheers!

-gabe-

Originally posted by Halberdier:

I have set up vehicles in supposedly concealing terrain (brush, scattered trees) that were prep-artilleried by the AI opponent. The book says that vehicles setting up in such terrain s/b hidden until they fire (don't have book in front of me).

cheers!

-gabe-

I don't think they are absolutely hidden. I think they just receive a bonus to concealment (under the assumption of attempts to camouflage).

Originally posted by Halberdier:

Is it possible that the AI is smart enough to prep on likely hiding places or do you think it is actually cheating somehow? I'm asking a serious question. Steve has sworn on a stack of bibles that the AI doesn't cheat no way no how, and until somebody comes up with conclusive proof to the contrary, I am inclined to believe him. Still, I'm open to the possibilitiy. Is there any consensus on this question?

Michael

Originally posted by akdavis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Halberdier:

I don't think they are absolutely hidden. I think they just receive a bonus to concealment (under the assumption of attempts to camouflage).</font>

I know that the AI doesn't prep-fire on 'suspected' positions (though that s/b something added to the new engine). The AI's arty usage could use some tweaking.

If the concealment terrain only increases the chance that a vehicle will be hidden, then these instances all occurred because the Borg Mind nullified any probability of being hidden since they were otherwise in LOS of several units. If it is supposed to be hidden, which I am now thinking is not the case (book is at home, I'm at an internet cafe), then it's a bug. In all cases the ranges were at least 800m.

cheers!

-gabe-

Even if the LOS tool gets fixed and ameliorates some of the problem, you need to understand that simply placing your vehicles in scattered trees or brush will not guarantee that they are hidden. The LOS has to pass through several of tiles of those, depending on the season, before it is blocked.

However, given all that, what some people are reporting earlier in this thread about the difficulties of spotting tanks even in open terrain, one must wonder.

Michael

[ November 15, 2002, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

In regard to realism, EFOW is just fine, I think. Even if units were too hard to spot (I don't think they are), there still is the issue of Borg Spotting. Either no one can see them or everyone can. It means that when a single man spots a single enemy, the whole company (plus tanks) opens up a few seconds later. This is unrealistic as well and in the end it might even out.

I'll second John's comments here; the few times I've been in the bush with the infantry, on the defensive, I've proven incredibly hard to spot given nothing more than personal camouflage. I remember ambushing an enemy section from something like 15 metres in relatively open country. I didn't "live" long afterwards, but had there been a section with me, too,...

The Russians were especially renowned in WW II for their ability to camouflage and conceal themselves, too - many German accounts pay homage to this.