He against Tanks!!

I played the kursk map and gave me 200% plus units to try a Tank only battle (5 against 15).

In turn 9, one of my KV`s opened fire (with 71 HE; 9 AP; 1 C; ammo left) on the last remaining Pz III. The german tank didnt fire back (he hade a gun damage i saw after the battle). But instead to use the remaining 9 rounds of ap, my tank shoot around 40 he bullets on my ennemy. Was funny to see..button up, down, up, down.... ;) ) Some boring rounds later, the german commander popped up smoke and startet to withdraw.

Would be nice to hear, why they do this?

Originally posted by K_Tiger:

[...instead to use the remaining 9 rounds of ap, my tank shoot around 40 he bullets on my ennemy. Would be nice to hear, why they do this?[/QB]

I saw something similar in Citadelle but involving a 45mm ATG. This particular gun had been involved in several successful duels against the panzers, and as a result was down to about 10 AP rounds when a Mk III spotted him and began a one-on-one duel. The plucky ATG fired off 7 rounds, splitting fairly evenly between misses and frontal hits (I believe there was at least one full penetration, but alas, no kill.) For some reason the ATG then switched to its HE ammo rather than fire off the last 2 AP rounds! I only noticed it when a message to the effect of "front turret hit, no significant damage" appeared instead of one mentioning ricochet or partial/full penetration. The ATG continued peppering the Mk III with HE until the tank eventually nailed it. The ATG died with its last two rounds of AP unspent. The episode reminded me somewhat of the old situation with tungsten rounds in CMBO...

Maybe your gunners thought the Pz-3's were earlier less armoured models against which they could use HE with some effect?

spaking of ammo types - I watched a 45 use all 4 of it's "T" rounds at a P-3 at 60m range last night - 3 penetrations, and no visible damage!! :(

But the tank crew still got out next turn!! smile.gif

This could be, the same like the "saving tungsten" in cmbo.

Maybe your gunners thought the Pz-3's were earlier less armoured models against which they could use HE with some effect?

My guys think?? hehe... i hope not, also they dont have any grandma`s... ;)

There were alot of diskussions here about tungsten and the effect after pennetration, in cmbo. Tungsten rounds r smaller without explosives, so maybe sometimes it penetrate but without any result. I read about a sidepenetration, where the bullet hit the left and escaped to the right side...two nice "airholes"...but didnt harm anyone. Ok thats pure luck...but happend. Nevertheless, better to have something hwo can penetrate a tank.

Never experienced premature change to HE. Had an empty KV-1S in Zitadelle two P3 left, openend up on one of them with HE in the flank at 500 m and BOOM the P3 exploded in a fiery explosion.

Also all my ATG always use their AP up to the last round (with Vehicle Arc fire or targeted by me) and not switching to HE by their own.

Greets

Daniel