all or nothing

Guest lickitysplit

Guest lickitysplit

I realize this was a previous thread but I just had to say..good one! I haven't had CM too long and I'm just playing scenarios' in the order they come. Getting in practice, for going one on one with someone. Nothin I can't handle,till this 'all or nothin' My butt was severely thrashed by the germans!!!

More reinforcement s rollin in, great! dang lost a good portion of them. I finally gave up. It was like feeding the lions hamburger!

Anyways I'll do better now that I have a clue

where thier positions are, and we won't be setting a tank on the bridge for a picnic either.GGGrreeaat scenario!!

• 2 months later...
Guest Rollstoy

This scenario certainly is an exercise in patience!

However, the whole time until the surrender of the German AI I was thinking to myself: "That can't be all". I lost 6 vehicles (3 tanks) to enemy fire, many more to bogging down. When the rain of artillery stopped I attacked the town with FOUR full platoons of infantry. You can gather them nicely on the bank of the river where they are concealed from enemy fire. Artillery took care of most of the guns before they were even identified properly. The vehicles going for the secondary bridge were taken out when they tried to turn the corner. Tanks on the stone bridge provided supporting fire until they ran out of ammo taking down most of the small buildings in the process.

In the end I had like 10 tanks provinding overwatch fire from the hillside while my infantry entered the town! It was a slaughterfest.

I think that the Germans deserve at least an additional platoon of tanks in this scenario. Their forward positions are just a minor annoyance and only prolong the game unnecessarily. Leading with infantry is (again) the key. Takes a lot of discipline and patience, but does the trick ...

Regards, Thomm

Yea, that thing is freakin' huge! Longest scenerio I've played. I won it but it got ugly near the end. There are simply so many units to keep track of I grew impaitent and made some sloppy moves. It took me a month to complete that scenerio (no joke!). I couldn't handle doing much more than a couple turns per week. I just couldn't remain coherent long enough to play that massive scenerio in one sitting. I love all the Allied arty you get. But I do agree with the post above. The Germans could use some more armor. If it wasn't for one well-timed massive German artillery strike on a huge group of my armor I was forming up I wouldn't have lost hardly any AFV's to enemy fire. That one strike took out 4 halftracks and two tank destroyers. One word of wisdom. Go off road at your own risk. Most of my vehicle loss was due to bogging. Man that sucks! One other tip, the British 2 inch mortar is nearly useless in this scenerio because the distances are so great. I positioned some in a nice overwatch position on the first main hill in front of the town thinking I could lay some HE in on the town to support my infantry. Wrong! Even though they can see it fine the distance is beyond their maximum range. D'oh!

"All or Nothing" (AON) was one of the best battles I have played in CM. Does anyone know of any other battles that are like this one? What I mean is, a battle that makes you follow a path and overcome local difficulties. It doesnt have to have as many units as AON. Please list if you know of any great progression battles like AON.

Remember the great battle AAR classic between Fionn and Moon (I think)? Something like that is what I am looking for. A battle with a story behind it.

[This message has been edited by Lanzfeld (edited 04-05-2001).]

Originally posted by Lanzfeld:

I dont think the Germans need another platoon of tanks. E-mail me. I'll be the Germans and I'll stop you cold.

I know you would. I guess I should clarify. The AI could use some more tanks on the German side. A human would have a field day as the Germans playing another human. It might be fun but it would be real ugly for the Allies.

Or were you talking to Rollstoy?

[This message has been edited by Cybeq (edited 04-05-2001).]

Guest Rollstoy

I dont think the Germans need another platoon of tanks. E-mail me. I'll be the Germans and I'll stop you cold.

Like Cybeq I was refering to the German AI. I do not claim to play better than anybody. I just have a different opinion with regard to this scenario (against the AI!). For me, the forward line of resistance of the Axis side did not have any impact at all, so reducing the map to start at the stone bridge would have been the same experience.

As I wrote, All or Nothing is more a matter of patience and discipline than of tactical skill, since you do not have a lot of options anyway (2 roads, to be precise). The action at the left hand and the right hand side of the map is mostly decoupled. For example, I did not have to get any vehicles across the stone bridge to achieve superiority on the right side.

Coming back to personal taste it became clear for me that medium scenarios are my personal limit patience- and time-wise.

Regards, Thomm

Ahhh....now I see what you guys were saying. I agree, when played as the Allies against the AI the Germans do need more stuff. Also, I have noticed that when the German AI gets reenforced with

***************SPOILERS HERE*****************

the "gun" it does not have a clue what to do with it. It just sits at the start location and never unlimbers or moves. A limitaion of the AI I guess.

Ahhh....now I see what you guys were saying. I agree, when played as the Allies against the AI the Germans do need more stuff. Also, I have noticed that when the German AI gets reenforced with

***************SPOILERS HERE*****************

the "gun" it does not have a clue what to do with it. It just sits at the start location and never unlimbers or moves. A limitaion of the AI I guess.

I guess I got unlucky/luck with it. One of my MG's spotted it when it arrived and opened up on it. Of course it silinced that MG for being so bold smile.gif