CM hangs on Dell Inspiron 5000

I'm having problems with getting CM to run on my Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop with ATI Rage Mobility-P AND Super XGA screen (ie 1400x1050 max resolution)

Basically, after the game loads the 3D engine, after some time scrolling through the landscape (usually less than 1 minute), the game hangs, ie can no longer scroll, buttons no longer works, can't exit to windows, can't ctrl-alt-delete, have to power down and power back up.

I've tried various resolutions (800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024) and they all eventually hang. I've tried disabling the full screen scaling for lower resolutions. Windows98 is reporting the presence of 2 monitors, (the other is I think the S-Video out) and I've tried disabling the other monitor in hardware. Combat Mission is also reporting 2 display drivers for each resolution, and I've tried both. I've tried both versions of the drivers available at the Dell site. I've updated directX to 7a, and then reinstalled the video and sound drivers. I've updated my mouse drivers (tried both synaptic touchpad drivers, and logitech mouse drivers w/externally attached mouse). I've tried reducing hardware acceleration 1 notch (2 notches forces software mode). I've tried monitor tricks described previously on this board. None of the above have resolved the problem.

Software rendering does work, though, so it appears really to be a problem with the video drivers. Haven't tried any other 3D games on it yet, so I can't tell if it's CM only or something more global.

So any other suggestions, or is it wait for new drivers from Dell and see if they work?

Thanks.

I've had the same problems with my Inspiron 5000 (regular XGA screen). My problems happened primarily during the replay, which made it rather useless. Didn't matter what tweaks I made. However, my experience was only with the demo - don't have the real deal yet. Got so bad, that I gave up and moved to my desktop where I've experienced no similar problems (not one lock up yet). I'm attributing it to 3D rendering, as I've not encountered any similar problems with any other games/apps. Sorry, not much help here.