Jammed guns

I'm playing a scenario where my German HMG has jammed. I remember reading somewhere that German machineguns were notorious for this.

My question is this: While I'm sure that there is a chance each turn for it to unjam, does an HQ influence this? I have an HQ nearby, but I don't want to waste him trying to help the HMG unjam if it's not a positive modifier.

Originally posted by Psyched:

I'm playing a scenario where my German HMG has jammed. I remember reading somewhere that German machineguns were notorious for this.

My question is this: While I'm sure that there is a chance each turn for it to unjam, does an HQ influence this? I have an HQ nearby, but I don't want to waste him trying to help the HMG unjam if it's not a positive modifier.

Hmmm, I'm not sure about that, I would love to know, though.

I do now that if you MOVE a jammed MG, they won't be working on unjamming it while moving, FWIW.

I had in some games also jammed gun's but after some turns the unit had not performed nothing about it the gun was still jammed,at some other point in the game I had selected a other unit with jammed MG to hide and then the unjamming was very quick performed by that unit,maybe that help's you also.

I dont know if a HQ has influence on that matter.

[ June 22, 2002, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Shapeshifter ]

Hiding the MG may have increased its concealment and thus either made an enemy unit not target/stop targeting it...thus reducing its Suppression state. I would think that the Suppression state would play a factor in unjamming, much like it affects Engineers clearing minefields.

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Hiding the MG may have increased its concealment and thus either made an enemy unit not target/stop targeting it...thus reducing its Suppression state. I would think that the Suppression state would play a factor in unjamming, much like it affects Engineers clearing minefields.

I agree. Plus, the game mechanics seem to indicate that when a unit hides, he assumes a particular physical position in "keeping his head down" which DEFINITELY ( at least IMHO) reduces his overall performance. It would make sense (though unproven) that hiding a unit would similiarly impair that unit's ability to unjam his gun, since presumably his main interest is laying low rather than engaging in any activity.

As Silvio points out,though, if hiding is the only way to prevent supression, then it would make more sense.