AA "Vehicles"........

I did a search with mixed results,and really need this info for a current CMBB PBEM Op.(sorry for posting in here,but i wanted to draw as much attention as possible)I am Germans and it is Aug.'44 and i suspect that the allies will have air support.Mainly because it is late war,and i have been provided with a Wirblewind.

Anyhow,i am on the attack,and have lots of nice armor with Very little cover on a large/huge map.I have as much armor as i can(including the Wirbelwind)in scattered trees,but im attacking and i simply cant have all of it hidden.In addition,i am having to use dips in terrain to block LOS,or use as jumping off points,and that is resulting in "bunching up" of my AFVs.I have the Wirbelwind as close to the "main body"(for lack of a better description)of my force as i can.If nothing else it is protecting my most valuable assets.

I would like as much info as i can get,even if its just theory,or something that works for you.Is there a direction it should be facing?Cover arc?Etc...etc...etc...The main reason for my concern is that i really cant afford to lose much armor(or my AA),and have had mixed results in the past with AA.Often times the planes wouldnt be targeted until the second or third pass,i suppose because of poor placement,and that may be too late.IOW,i need it to be as effective as possible as soon as the plane shows up.

All info and help very much appreciated.

Originally posted by nevermind:

I have the Wirbelwind as close to the "main body"(for lack of a better description)of my force as i can.If nothing else it is protecting my most valuable assets.

Don't know as I'd keep it that close. Self-propelled AAA tends to draw the attention of any passing jabo, and get's strafed first.

Keep it about 1000m away, in scattered trees, and don't move it around.

Originally posted by von Lucke:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by nevermind:

I have the Wirbelwind as close to the "main body"(for lack of a better description)of my force as i can.If nothing else it is protecting my most valuable assets.

Don't know as I'd keep it that close. Self-propelled AAA tends to draw the attention of any passing jabo, and get's strafed first.

Keep it about 1000m away, in scattered trees, and don't move it around. </font>

Low ground without steep sides in your rear area is a good place for AA meant for the skies. It keeps it out of LOS of ground units, thus alive and undistracted. As long as the sides aren't steep you will see things in the air. Use a covered arc, long and 180 wide, directed over your own armor and roughly centered on them.

It is better to be off behind them that way than right in their midst, because it is rotating time that muffs air engagements, not range. You will have a shorter arc to rotate through if you are 400-500m away with turret facing your vehicles, than you might have right beside them (where half the time you'd have to turn clean 'round to engage).

nevermind, that PBEM opponent of yours sounds quite clever, not to mention devilishly handsome!! :D

Just as a warning, I don't post much on the forum (despite being clever, I really don't know much) but I do come here to try and soak up some knowledge.

If you feel your strategy has been compromised, you'll be happy to know that I'm doing the same thing as you (hmmmm, a tank battle with mostly stationary tanks) because when I played this Op against the AI, my tanks got repeatedly pummelled from the air.

So just put your tanks out in the open and send me the next turn. smile.gif

Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

nevermind, that PBEM opponent of yours sounds quite clever, not to mention devilishly handsome!! :D

Just as a warning, I don't post much on the forum (despite being clever, I really don't know much) but I do come here to try and soak up some knowledge.

If you feel your strategy has been compromised, you'll be happy to know that I'm doing the same thing as you (hmmmm, a tank battle with mostly stationary tanks) because when I played this Op against the AI, my tanks got repeatedly pummelled from the air.

So just put your tanks out in the open and send me the next turn. smile.gif

Nah,i waited to post this after you had sent the setup for the second battle.There are other points that i simply cant comment on now,but let me just say,its not gonna be stationary for long ;)

As far as not posting due to "not knowing much",just look at the Cheery Waffle and MBT threads and you'll see that you can know next to nothing and still post tongue.gif

I sent you a turn hours ago,i'll resend.