Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

American Veteran

This could fit into the other subforums, but most people come here anyway.

I just watched a program on our local cable channel called "Veterans News and Views". We are a retirement town with quite a few WWII vets. I see a lot of veterans license plates at the auto dealership where I work. More than one Pearl Harbor survivor.

They interviewed Andy Rasmussen of the "Filthy Thirteen" with the 101st Airborne. The movie "The Dirty Dozen" was loosely based on these guys. He told his tale of becoming an Airborne soldier, going to England, surviving D-Day.

He told of his jump mission to take Ste. Mare Eglise. He had a broken ankle from the jump and managed to shoot three Germans from the bocage where he hid, before he himself was shot. For three days he hid in the bocage, plugging the hole with his finger, living on rations and one canteen. He was captured and said he was treated well. In his opinion, the Germans knew the war was over for them. They took him to a hospital where captured American doctors treated him. He told the doctors to take care of the badly wounded first. The bullet is still in him today.

28 days later the Allies came through and freed the hospital and the men.

I came home from work and the wife was watching the program. I missed some of the interview. She said it was very good, and just couldn't imagine this white haired, thin, old timer, with a Mohawk haircut and face paint.

Just thought I'd share the story.

(I'm lucky to have a wife like her) ;)